[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - bridges vlans and trunks oh my!

bridges vlans and trunks oh my!

Discuss Networking

bridges vlans and trunks oh my!

Postby Void Main » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:30 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Re: bridges vlans and trunks oh my!

Postby ichilton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:15 am

Hi,

This is really cool - exactly what I was looking to do (though with not so many WRT's!) - thank you for posting the config files and diagram.

I have a question though....

If you look at the config file - http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/vl ... rk.cfg.txt and the diagram, you seem to be using the "eprt"'s in the config rather than the "iprt"'s.

Should the openwrt config not use the iprt?

Thanks,

Ian
ichilton
user
user

Postby Void Main » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:10 am

It depends on which router you are referring to. For whatever reason on some WRTs the internal and external ports are mapped in the same order:

and on other WRTs they are mapped in reverse order:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ichilton » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 am

Hi,

Oh - that's odd!

Do you still have that setup then?

What was your reason for using all the WRT's and not fewer, bigger, managed switches? - just because you had them around?

Thanks,

Ian
ichilton
user
user

Postby Void Main » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 am

Bigger managed switches are more expensive and they are usually loud, and they don't run Linux of course (well most don't). I don't need 24 ports in one location, I need a few ports in several locations, and the WIFI range can be extended. For me these WRTs are the most appropriate for the job. They are also useful for much more than just switching. Since they run Linux the possibilities of what you can do with these things are enormous.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ichilton » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Good points!

Do you still run the same setup?
ichilton
user
user

Postby Void Main » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 pm

It's roughly the same. Also running 6in4 IPv6 tunnels from Hurricane Electric on the WRT running my Shorewall firewall.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ichilton » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 am

Interesting! - have you written about / documented that anywhere?

Thanks,

Ian
ichilton
user
user

Postby Void Main » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 am

Talk a bit about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2332
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin