Linux Does have Games!!!

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Linux Does have Games!!!

Post by ThePreacher » Wed May 28, 2003 7:39 am

Good news is in the air in concern to linux games. First of all there is planeshift. It is a MMORPG and should help fill the void us linux gamers feel without Everquest. http://sourceforge.net/projects/planeshift/

The next good news is Cube. http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/ This is a fps that was written from the beginning as an open source project. It reminds me a lot of quake 2 and although it doesnt have the latest cutting edge graphics, it is very respectable.

The final news is the best however. Gentoo has started a gaming division to bring bootable games to linux. If you remember the UT2003 demo bootable distro they created then you know what I mean. Now they are back at it with the first version of America's Army that runs on linux. http://www.gentoogames.com/

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher » Fri May 30, 2003 6:14 am

As if the news for linux gamers wasnt good enough, here is even better news. RTCW: Enemy Territory has been completed and released in its final version. Its pretty good too. Check out http://games.activision.com/games/wolfe ... section=et

By the way for those who dont know it is 100% free, it has a 100% linux port, that Ive tested with no problems on Mandrake 9.1, and it does not require RTCW to play. It is completely stand alone. So if you use linux and dont know about any good free games, go get this.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Fri May 30, 2003 6:50 am

I'm glad RTCW:ET has gone final, do you happen to know what the changes are?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri May 30, 2003 10:20 am

I downloaded and installed ET and it says it played the intro fine but when I create a profile and believe it tries to start the game the game crashes with a GL error:

Code: Select all

----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- R_Init -----
...loading libGL.so.1: QGL_Init: dlopen libGL.so.1 failed: /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1: shared object cannot be dlopen()ed: static TLS memory too small
failed
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

I am using the nVidia 4363 drivers/GL. Haven't done *any* research on this yet and I plan on looking into it soon but I thought if someone knew the answer right off it might save me some looking...

Thanks!

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:53 pm

Had you used 'export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5' to try and get winex running in RH9? This could be the cause of the problem.

Also could someone give me the md5sum of their et-blah-blah2.55.run file so that I can check mine isn't corrupt, as I have a sinking feeling it is.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:28 pm

I shouldn't need WineX, it's the Linux version of the game that I was trying to run. But speaking of WineX, I was never able to get it working on RH9 although I did get wine to work somewhat, certainly not ready for prime time. I'm not home right now so I'll try the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL when I get home in a couple of days.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:33 pm

No no, 'export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5' will not solve your RTCW:ET, I was suggesting it might have caused it.
You see some people report it to fix their winex problems on RH9, but apparently it breaks native OpenGL games.
Nevermind :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:19 pm

I got it working. I got to thinking that I have been keeping my system upgraded with the exception of the kernel itself ("apt-get dist-upgrade" doesn't upgrade the kernel). So I'm thinking that I am running 2.4.20-8 and there is a 2.4.20-13.9 kernel out and I'll bet there was some pthreads work done and may be causing the problem with that game. I just got home and upgraded the kernel and reinstalled my nVidia drivers and the game seems to now work without a problem. I also wouldn't be surprised if this will fix the WineX thing. I'll download/compile WineX later and see how it goes...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:07 pm

I now have WineX installed and running on RH9, finally! I don't know if it will work with the old kernel but I just downloaded the latest CVS and modified the "tools/wineinstall" and changed the first line:

CONFARGS="--enable-opengl"
to:

CONFARGS="--use-pthreads --enable-opengl"
then compiled/installed by running that install script:

# tools/wineinstall

This also does not require the setting of the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL var.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:44 am

Great,
I have been puzzling over that for a long while!
I could not figure out why it wouldn't work even with the '-use-pthreads' compile option, never thought to upgrade the kernel :)
Good work void :)

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:46 am

Oh yeah could someone do the checksum for me? Pretty please.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:40 am

Do a checksum on what? I also may have spoken too soon on WineX. Although many things seem to run under it, the fonts seem to be messed up on a few things. "sol" seems to work fine, "winmine" seems a little screwed up, as in things are missing. The smilie thing does not show up and neither does the score. In "calc" the numbers are all garbled etc. I was able to run Excel, but not Word. It may be down to a configuration issue now though and I don't really know much about configuring wine. It's not a big deal though as I don't use it.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:58 am

Your RTCW:ET .run file. I think mine is fu, i mean corrupted.
Thanks.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:11 am

[void@kidslinux et]$ wget http://www.rtcwworld.com/et-linux-2.55.x86.run
[void@kidslinux et]$ ls -l
-rwxrwxrwx    1 void     void     270588258 May 29 05:58 et-linux-2.55.x86.run
[void@kidslinux et]$ md5sum et*
71d938bbc6afddbfab73390333964e9d  et-linux-2.55.x86.run

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:16 am

Well, it seems mine was perfectly intact.
So I tried it again and lowe and behold it worked....
Computers, pfft