other distros of linux forums

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

other distros of linux forums

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:52 am

hiya.

x11 said there should be a BSD section on these linux forums, and void main said no. understandable, it's not linux, but there are a lof of linux versions which are not covered by the headings in these forums. i am going to try out lycoris desktop l/x for example, but where would i discuss that on here? also i might try libranet next too
(that one can go in the debian section i suppose) and i like to fiddle with basiclinux (of course that goes in the slackware forums) but you see what i mean, i propose that you add an 'all other distros' type section too void main. what do you say? or should they go in the lounge? i wouldn't think so, myself, but it's not my forum.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:47 am

Ok, I have updated a couple of the forum titles and added an "other" category. If there is enough discussion for any one distribution in the other category I will add a forum for it. I do want to keep all forums based on GNU/Linux that is freely available. For example, Lindows is not freely available and does not belong here. BSD is not GNU/Linux based and does not belong here.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:16 pm

thanks for that boss, it was a purely selfish suggestion. i like your ethic for the site. i will have to look elsewhere for info about freeBSD and freeDOS obviously (both freely available, neither linux) i'm not too keen on non-free versions of linux either, no doubt i will try lindows and suse one day (hey! good point, that's not freely available and you have a forum for it!!!!!) but they're not high on my list.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:35 pm

SuSE is free via live install, just not in those convenient ISOs.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:36 pm

Actually SuSE is freely available, just not in ISO form, which is one of a few reasons why I personally don't use it. But I have no problem with others using/liking it. They are definitely on the edge...

[edit]
Whoops, Frank beat me to it. :)
[/edit]

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:05 pm

What about GNU/Hurd (Hird)?
Its GNU.

Well im gonna try and get a copy of Darwin GNU/Hurd. By the sounds of it, Linux will get a butt kickin!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:47 pm

Uh, no butt kickin's any time soon. However, Hurd discussions are perfectly acceptable.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:03 am

it shouldn't be, after all it's NOT linux. if hurd discussions are okay, then BSD and FreeDOS discussions should be okay, as they are as free and as closely related to linux as hurd is.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:02 am

Yes but Hurd and Linux are both GNU licenced BSD is not. And your blond so dont listen to calum listen to a well educated person like ME.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:21 am

FreeDOS is GPL too, and it is as closely related to linux as Hurd is, but you don't see a freeDOS section on these LINUX forums do you? why should Hurd be allowed if FreeDOS isn't? (and neither should be in my opinion).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:48 am

Because hurd is Unix like, such as Linux and is better then you :-).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:31 am

so is BSD. so is MacOSX, so is lindows.

this is a linux forum.

edit - and freeDOS is a lot more unix like than MSDOS, that's for sure! it uses tab completion for a start (not in quite the same way as linux though) and it allows 'ls' to work too (and it's not just a symlink to dir i don't think). Also, my copy of FreeDOS came with vim and emacs installed too. All i need now is to get the mouse working and put that implementation of X for DOS on it and the casual user won't be able to tell the difference. VERY unix like indeed. but we're not here to talk about freeDOS... (or Hurd or *BSD for that matter, even though technically the BSDs are more freely available than GPL/Linux, and definitely more available than SuSE)

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:35 am

Calum wrote:...even though technically the BSDs are more freely available than GPL/Linux...
How so? If anything, GPL stuff should be more freely available than BSD and derived works, since the GPL requires redistribution be free, but the BSD licence doesn't.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:30 am

well, while ethically i agree that the GPL is more flexible and fair in the long run, the BSD licence simply says you can do literally anything you like with the code or whatever comes to you under that licence, so long as you retain the copyright information in plain text somewhere.

In that respect there are a lot less restrictions in a BSD type licence than a GPL one, however in the real world, i totally take your point about freedom of information, and agree with it completely.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:44 pm

Here's the deal. I like UNIX and I like the GPL. Combined you get either GNU/Linux or GNU/Hurd, that's it. I don't like DOS or anything else that is brain dead (Windows). I don't like BSD because it allows companies like M$ to steal their software and almost claim it for their own. GPL does not allow this and guarantees that the software will remain open/Free (as in freedom). So when I refer to Linux, I don't refer to just the kernel, I refer to the entire GNU/Linux operating system that includes any other software from distros that I deem acceptable some of which is not GPL (XFree, Perl, etc).

It's really as simple as that. There are a few reasons for this. I want to keep this targeted/focused and not a place for everyone as I don't have the bandwidth. I am willing to create more Linux (GNU/Linux/Hurd operating system or distribution) forums if warranted.