Fedora Core 2

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sat May 22, 2004 11:24 am

Void Main wrote: On a side note, I recompiled my kernel with NTFS support *and* with write enabled (which is supposed to be reliable in 2.6.x) and I still can't write to my NTFS partition on my laptop (work machine). Not sure what the problem is as I mount it with "rw" option and it shows that it is mounted rw. Files/Dirs show up as being owned and writable by root but when I try and create a file as root it gives me an error and doesn't write the file. I did not compile in NTFS debug support though.
I think you can only modify/overwrite existing files, and you can't take up any more space on disk than they already occupy. It's either that or something equally useless :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 22, 2004 11:33 am

Tux wrote:I think you can only modify/overwrite existing files, and you can't take up any more space on disk than they already occupy. It's either that or something equally useless :)
Actually I think that was true for the other NTFS driver that was included in the 2.2/2.4 kernels. This NTFS driver in the 2.6 kernel (which is supposed to be from completely different source) I think is supposed to be fully functional. I'll try and dig up more information on this.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 am

Never doubt Tux, he's usually right. :)

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sat May 22, 2004 11:57 am

Void Main wrote:Never doubt Tux, he's usually right. :)

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html
LOL, don't be so sure.

Anyway, there is a driver with full NTFS rw support. BUT it seems to be tainted with yukky Windows files.
Link

chartoo
user
user

Post by chartoo » Sat May 22, 2004 6:19 pm

CTL+ALT+KPPLUS
I don't have a KPPlus key or is that the Linux name for the Windows key?

Try renaming your /etc/X11/XF86Config to something else and let xorg start up with it's defaults
Thanks Void it worked like a charm 'cept the wheel on my wh eel mouse isn't working.
I tried the system-config-mouse command but that didn't work either rather I should say reconfiguring the mouse didn't make the wheel work.
Do you have to reboot to have the new settings working?

Oh, finally I got the NTFS rpm installed properly in Fedora,
it isn't that hard if you follow the directions, duh.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 22, 2004 6:39 pm

chartoo wrote:
CTL+ALT+KPPLUS
I don't have a KPPlus key or is that the Linux name for the Windows key?
That's Void Main speak for the "+" on the Keypad (the one on the top row of numbers will not work, have to use the one on the keypad on the right of your keyboard).
Try renaming your /etc/X11/XF86Config to something else and let xorg start up with it's defaults
Thanks Void it worked like a charm 'cept the wheel on my wh eel mouse isn't working.
Without actually searching for the answer my guess is that you will actually have to create an xorg.conf file and set your mouse protocol there just as you would have done on the old XF86Config (IMPS/2, or similar).

You can have Xorg create a config for your system by doing this as root:

# Xorg -configure

If you are already running X you'll have to tell X to start on another display number:

# Xorg :1 -configure

That will create a /root/xorg.conf.new file. You can copy that file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it. If you want to test it before copying:

# X -xf86config /root/xorg.conf.new

or if you are already running X

# X :1 -xf86config /root/xorg.conf.new

It should just start with a black screen and a mouse cursor. You can get back to you other X session by pressing "CTRL+ALT+F7" where you can ^C the other X session (or kill it will you are in it with a "CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE").

My guess is that if in the xorg.conf file you find the line under the Mouse0 section that says this:

Code: Select all

Option      "Protocol" "auto"
and change it to:

Code: Select all

Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
restart X and it should work.

EDIT: Also, another way of generating a config is by running system-config-display (which is under your "System Settings" menu as "Display") and set your resolution. This should generate a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

chartoo
user
user

Post by chartoo » Sat May 22, 2004 8:33 pm

Thanks !!

;-)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat May 22, 2004 9:01 pm

I think "system-config-mouse" is actually supposed to set this to IMPS/2 for you if you select wheel mouse. I just browsed through the Python source for it (found in the /usr/share/system-config-mouse dir) and it appears to only deal with the "XF86Config" file and not the "xorg.conf" file. Now since Xorg will also read the XF86Config file I'm wondering if I should have suggested generating the new file as /etc/X11/XF86Config rather than /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I believe if you had, the graphical mouse tool would have set your wheel mouse protocol correctly.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 24, 2004 3:04 pm

Questions:
1) Does FC2 have The Gimp 2.0?
2) Is there a solution to nVidia 3D accelleration support yet?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue May 25, 2004 11:05 am

Answers:
1) Yes
2) :?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue May 25, 2004 1:09 pm

2) I have the nVidia drivers working on my machine with my new GeForce4 card but I had to download the stock 2.6.6 kernel and copy my config to .config and "make oldconfig" and make sure you do not enable 4k stacks. It's still glitchy though and I get a lockup periodically. nVidia is aware of the problem and are working on a new driver.

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus » Mon May 31, 2004 8:38 am

Fedora Core 2 won't boot up for me...i don't even have a bootloader for it, but i know the install installed one.

After installing FC2 (i'm familiar with the easy install, from RH8 and 9), and rebooting, windows started loading up. thinking that maybe the default timeout was 0 seconds for some strange reason, i held the up arrow during bootup, but still, it booted win.

i booted off of the FC2 dvd again, and choose upgrade FC install, then i tried to have it reinstall the bootloader (and i made sure i put it in the MBR), but after the install process it said something like there was no change to kernel packages so it did not update the bootloader.

i don't have a floppy drive on this laptop, so i can't just make a bootdisk. how can i get grub working? everything is already installed (FC2= hda6, win=hda1) i just don't have access to grub.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 31, 2004 11:19 am

Boot off of your install media, go into rescue mode, then do a grub-install /dev/hda.

Assuming hda is the drive you intend to install GRUB onto, but modify as you see fit.

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus » Mon May 31, 2004 12:41 pm

Tux wrote:Boot off of your install media, go into rescue mode, then do a grub-install /dev/hda.

Assuming hda is the drive you intend to install GRUB onto, but modify as you see fit.
is there anything i have to do between entering the rescue console and issueing the command?

#grub-install /dev/hda
/sbin/grub: Not found

#grub --install /dev/hda or
grub> install /dev/hda

goes some error i can't remember....

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon May 31, 2004 3:34 pm

Oh yeh, sorry. You need to do this:

mkdir /tmp/rh
mount /devhda6 /tmp/rh