RedHat upgrade?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
jrich4
user
user

RedHat upgrade?

Post by jrich4 »

Has anyone done an upgrade from RedHat 8 to RedHat 9? Is it worth it, what are the advantages? Is the upgrade easy, or will I have to do a bunch of reconfiguring to get it set back up the way that I like it?
I am currently running RedHat 8 and have downloaded the ISOs for RedHat 9 and am just wondering if I should do the upgrade or not.

Thanks for your feedback and info!
jrich4

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I did do an Upgrade from RH8->RH9 and it was one of the few times I have done an upgrade without problems (at least I don't remember having any). I would certainly suggest that you make a backup of at least your home directories. I hope yours goes as smoothly as mine.

The only gripe I had is the "Upgrade" seemed to take a very long time to complete whereas a clean install seemed to be very fast on another machine. On my Athlon 1600 desktop it took around 20 minutes to do a full install of RH8. If I remember right the Upgrade to RH9 took over an hour on the same machine. The upgrade process has a lot more work to do so it will certainly take longer than a fresh install in any case.

I also don't want to make it sound like my upgrade installs in previous versions were disasters because they weren't. I have done many upgrade installs but usually I would wipe out my profiles (~/.kde*, ~/.gnome* ~/.gtk*, ~/.mozilla, etc, etc) and let them create a new default profile the first time I log in to the new version of Red Hat.

jrich4
user
user

I need help getting apt-get working with RedHat 9!

Post by jrich4 »

I finally did an upgrade to RedHat 9 from RedHat 8, and everything seems to be okay and working except the apt-get /synaptic program. I tried to reinstall it following Void's directions for Redhat 8.0 except substituting (9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc5-fr2.i386.rpm) for the apt program for RedHat 9. Then, I tried removing the apt directory that was there where I had it working for RedHat 8. When I am at the command line trying to download and install the apt program via Void's directions I get this fault (warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.M6YuVB: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e42d547b
error: Failed dependencies:
libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5.so.3.3 is needed by (installed) synaptic-0.32-fr1)
I also tried looking for libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5.so.3.3 that it says is needed on google and can't seem to find it.
I am having absolutely no luck getting it set back up. Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks,
jrich4

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You should be able to just upgrade apt and synaptic and press on. That's what I did. In fact I used apt itself to upgrade a few of my machines from 8 to 9.

At least this should work:

# rpm -e synaptic
# rpm -e apt
# rpm -Uvh http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ ... 2.i386.rpm
# apt-get update
# apt-get install synaptic

jrich4
user
user

Thanks Void!

Post by jrich4 »

Thanks for your help, I used the commands that you listed and it is now up and running. I am not a complete newbie, but there is still a whole lot I have yet to learn. Thank you for all the help and for this site.

Thanks,
jrich4

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

No problem. Almost got taken out a few times by tornados in the last few days but hopefully that fun is over for a little while.. My cable was down a few hours the other night (which also meant this site was not accessible) but that was the worst of it..