Well looks like the first love can never be forgoten

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Well looks like the first love can never be forgoten

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:57 pm

I just installed RH9 and welp, it came down to this.

I CANT DECIDE WHICH ONE I LIKE BETTER :?
Suse8.2 or RH9.

ugh. I also installed it in my laptop and it detected my vid card suse just defaults to 800x600 resoslution.

But anywho, I have both suse and rh in my main rig and i cant decide which one i like better :? :?:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:26 pm

That must be good for Red Hat considering the raving you were doing over SuSE 8.2. Isn't it great having these tough choices to make? :)

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:37 pm

Void Main wrote:That must be good for Red Hat considering the raving you were doing over SuSE 8.2. Isn't it great having these tough choices to make? :)

Te he. Good luck having the same tough choices with MS. Oh no wait you cant :D

I dunno but RH8 at first looked really good to me, but after a while, there were some things that really pissed me. Trivial stuff to be honest that just ticked me the wrong way. And I was hesitant to go to RH9. Over all I should say this, the best Distros I tried so far are RH7.3 and SUSE8.2.

But I was really impressed with RH9 update, nice and smooth, and how it still runs good in my old craporama Laptop.
I am still exploring it.I think this time around RH9 just nailed it on the head big time. It just feels like RH7.3 but an updated 7.3. And I really really liked 7.3
Infact am on a raving state of mind as I was with SUSE8.2.

Besides, that damn redhat is just so damn cool.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:57 pm

I remember hating RH8 for an initial reaction because it was so much different than RH7.x but after a couple of weeks I learned to like it. I agree there were some quirky things about RH8 like the crappy performance out of the default kernel and the rpm command hangup issue. The rpm hangup issue appears to still be in RH9 but that is about the only gripe I can think of with it. In fact it's been quite a while since I had the hangup problem so maybe an update along the line somewhere fixed it. "apt" from http://apt.freshrpms.net/ makes it a near perfect distro for me.

Oh one other quirk about RH9 that really isn't an RH9 problem is the pthreads and GLIBC 2.3.2 fiasco with Wine* but since I don't use Wine it doesn't really effect me. Some other distros are now including that version of GLIBC so now they can't blame Red Hat. I did finally get both Wine and WineX to work though, they still are far from perfect, but then they've always been far from perfect.