Adding a new Environment to GDM

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

Adding a new Environment to GDM

Post by Calum »

i just installed XFce 3 by using 2 red hat rpms off of xfce.org.

they were called gtk-xfce and xfce i think.

so now they are installed, i got this message afterwards:
Note :
You can now run the script xfce_setup to install xfce as the default
desktop environment or start xfce using the script startxfce

Important :
If you are upgrading from a previous version of xfce, please run
the script xfce_upgrade for each user running xfce as their desktop
environment, to ensure backward compatibility.
so the thing is, how do i add them to my gdm menu? i think if i was using kdm i could just use kcontrol to do it) although that would be boring and would teach me nothing) but how would i do this using gdm? is there more than one way to add a new desktop environment option in redhat? i hope to be able to install other less used environments and have them in my gdm menu too at some stage.

thanks in advance. i'm hoping this is a fairly simple one to answer as i hate the thought of making people run around looking for answers i could have run around and found myself.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Here's what I just did:

Code: Select all

$ mkdir /tmp/xfce
$ cd /tmp/xfce
$ wget ftp://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/xfce/*[14]rh9*
$ su
# rpm -Uvh *
This will install the RH9 xfce 3.90 RPMs (xfce 4 beta1). It adds XFce4 to your login menu. Of course there will be 23 RPMs that are downloaded rather than just 2. I guess that's not exactly an answer for the question you asked though. It seems that we had gone through this before, for the exact same window manager. Was it on the "other" site?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

yes i knew you had covered it somewhere.
i am kind of reluctant to go to that other place (which incidentally has got rid of the puerile swearies, so maybe there's hope yet) but i'll get round to it at some point because there's a lot of good info in the past posts there.

thanks for that i will no doubt try that i didn't realise there were rpms out of XFce4 yet.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

No Calum, don't go there I hear they have diseases and things.

BobsYourUncle
user
user

Post by BobsYourUncle »

I did this ages ago for blackbox. From what i remember, you need to create a file "xfce" in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions containing

#!/bin/bash -login

/etc/gdm/Sessions/Xsession windowmaker
then you may need to edit /etc/gdm/Sessions/Xsession to make sure that in the large case clause (starting with case %1 in) there is an entry for xfce, something like

xfce)
                exec startxfce
                ;;
I think that's all you need to do, but like i said, it's been a while since i had to do it, so i may have missed something.