cdplay problem

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

cdplay problem

Post by dishawjp »

Hi All,

Still working on hammering out the last couple of problems with the RH9 install I did on my daughter's computer last weekend.

With Xwindows running, I can start cdplay, the drive appears to be reading the disc and the "time" and "track" functions on the GUI seem to be working fine. The problem is no sound. She does have sound for other things not related to the cd player like startup and shutdown sounds and the like. I haven't yet installed mplayer to see if she has sound for that when she plays her DVD's. Cdplay does point to the proper device, it ejects the CD on command and all.

Oh, I haven't checked to see if cdp works in runlevel 3 yet, and probably won't have time to check that until this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Dishaw

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Have you checked the mixer level for cD audio in something like kmix? It is probably turned down, or muted.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp »

Hi Tux,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already checked that. At least I went to the "volume control" thing in the menu and made sure that nothing there was muted or turned way down there.

Any other thoughts?

Jim Dishaw

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Have you tried cdp -c /dev/cddevicehere to direct it to a device, perhaps it is using the wrong one (if you have more than one)

Oops, sorry Jim, I just read your original post so scrap that^^

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

what's your exact sound card? i have this exact issue with a C-Media PCI sound card. i have replaced it with an old ISA AWE64 SB card to fix the problem. My card will not play CDs using any sound card driver except ALSA, which i am too thick to install properly (the only way i can use it is to install mandrake which installs alsa automatically).

So what i am saying is, it's probably your sound card.

BobsYourUncle
user
user

Post by BobsYourUncle »

Do you get sound if you plug the speakers directly into the front of the cd drive? I don't use cdplay, but i know some older versions of winamp (back in the days when i was a clueless windows zombie) wouldn't play sound through the soundcard unless you had a audio cable connecting it to the cdrom drive. Would've thought that cdplay is pretty new, and as such wouldn't have this problem, but no harm in trying.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Nah, cdp(lay) is an old command line program.

----------------------------

Jim, as a last resort, perhaps you could get the cdaudio filesystem driver. (will get you a URL soon)
What this does is allow you to access the audio tracks of a CD as WAV files in a browsable mountpoint. So, really if all else fails you could do this and just use xmms or play or whatever else tickles your fancy to play those WAV's.
It's not ideal but it would do.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Jim, here is aformentioned URL.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp »

Hi All,

Finally solved the problem and thought I'd pass the solution along to everybody here just in case you may happen to run up against something like this.

Evidently WinXP doesn't need the audio cable from the CDROM drive to the sound card to work. And Linux (of course) doesn't need it to play .wav and .mp3 files or anything other sound files that don't originate from the CD drive. I guess I should have looked for a hardware issue, but with everything else working in Linux and the CD drive working in WinXP, I never even opened up the case to check. :oops:

I picked up a used audio cable last weekend and installed it last night. Everything works.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Jim Dishaw

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i'm glad to hear it was this simple, this was not the issue in my case as i always plug that thing in just in case anyway.