[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - First taste of Gentoo

First taste of Gentoo

Place to discuss Gentoo

First taste of Gentoo

Postby Void Main » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:19 pm

Well, since VMware server went free (as in gratis) I decided to install and test some other distributions that I hadn't yet had a chance to play with. I decided Gentoo is one that I always wanted to try. Well, two days later I am on the last step of the . I started the "emerge gnome" this morning before going to work. I see it is still running and I am sure it will take all day. Hopefully it will be finished before I get home. :)

I started with the minimal network install CD image. Everything is done manually which is something I am very comfortable with and used to have to do back in the old days of Linux (before the distro). This is good for someone who wants to learn and understand Linux on a bit of a lower level. It certainly would not be for someone who just wants to do a quick install and just browse the internet. The only/biggest advantage to this distro that I can see up to this point is it is source based which means every package installed will be optimized to your system if you just have to get that last ounce of performance out of it.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:01 pm

i found it really simplifies things for you so you dont really learn all the low level stuff the gentoo fanboys claim. I'd say slackware makes you get into the low level stuff more than Gentoo does.

I also decided that the optimization wasnt worth waiting for everything to compile.
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Yeah that's true. It simplifies obtaining and compiling packages which would put it between something like a Linux from Scratch and a Debian. I also agree on the optimization time is probably not a good tradeoff in most situations.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Woohoo, 12 hours after "emerge gnome" it's done 213 of 335 packages! Only another 6 hours to go! Installing Gentoo is like watching paint dry. Actually paint doesn't take nearly this long to dry. :)
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Only 84 more packages to go before my desktop is installed. Hopefully it's done by tomorrow sometime. :)
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:08 am

Hey, gnome install finished in 1312m43.918s (22 hours).
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeDude » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Postby Calum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:46 am

that is atrocious.

no matter how optimal it gets, 13 thousand minutes for installing a system is pathetic.

am i missing something?
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:20 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:36 am

yep, typos notwithstanding, it's still atrocious.

i'd go so far as to say preposterous too.
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:14 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:55 pm

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Next