Gentoo Games

Place to discuss Gentoo
ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Gentoo Games

Post by ThePreacher » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:36 pm

Im writing this from the Gentoo/America's Army bootable distro. If you dont know about it, it is a linux version of America's Army, which is a First Person Shooter developed by the US military for training purposes. The best part about the game is its price $0. Its not only the game, but a pretty functional version of Gentoo that has drivers for the ATI and NVIDIA video cards. Its a resource hog so only if you use a faster machine. If you are interested in it, its at http://www.gentoogames.com

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:13 am

that kicks ass! i haven't tried it yet and i don't have a fast machine but i will be downloading it anyway because that is just a really cool idea!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:06 am

well i downloaded and burned america's army for myself, and booted up from it, and it booted fine to a nice *box desktop, with quite a lot of themes, i got a nice gtk box offering me the america's army simulation, a browser (which turned out to be mozilla) and a reboot. the right click menu offers me an xterm too. when i try to start the simulation, i get a splash logo for about a minute and then it goes back to the gtk type box with the 3 buttons again. Popping over to tty1 i found that it was not working properly due to the fact that only nvidia & ati cards are supported. i feel a little hard done by here since i have an ATI Rage 128 card :(

so then i decide to shut down and couldn't find out how to do it. so i open an xterm and shutdown -h now, which doesn't seem to halt the system properly, and certainly doesn't power off the machine.

all in all, i couldn't get it to work properly.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:06 am

It says you need a recent ATI card, a Radeon 8500 or higher according to the blurb next to the download link:

http://www.gentoogames.com/

or an nVidia of course.