Lycoris Desktop/LX

Distributions that do not fit in the above categories (please limit discussion to freely available GNU/Linux/Hurd based distributions).
Refalm
user
user

Lycoris Desktop/LX

Post by Refalm » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:08 pm

It may be the wrong distro for some people, but I think it rules :)

Desktop/LX is a very good distro, and I'm sorry to hear that Void Main deleted the section about the distro...

My Desktop/LX screenshot

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lycoris Desktop/LX

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:40 pm

Refalm wrote:Desktop/LX is a very good distro, and I'm sorry to hear that Void Main deleted the section about the distro...
Huh? What do you mean I deleted the section about the distro? I never had a section about the distro, no one ever asked for one. I can't have a section for every distro, there are hundreds of them. And I am limiting this site to freely attainable distributions (as in beer). Is there somewhere I can legally obtain this distribution via download free and legal? If not then it doesn't belong here.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:42 am

yes there is. it can be downloaded here including complete source code and developer tools. They seem really enthusiastic to get people to make lycoris specific rpms and so on.

as it happens i am currently road testing this distro too and i am finding it very mediocre to be honest. i needed to manually edit my XF86Config files (yes, lycoris seems to have three, all of which count for different types of user) and now i am at a loss for how to get the sound server working. plus programs have a habit of disappearing without trace with no crash message or anything. no package selection during install either.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:58 am

Reflam is there any particular reason why you blurred the screennames? Your not some kind of terrorist i hope.

Refalm
user
user

Post by Refalm » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:27 pm

Trust me, you DON'T want to know the people in my list :D

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:24 am

This months copy of Linux format dropped through my letterbox today and it has lycoris on the coverdisk. I am thinking of intalling it to see what it's like.

What I was wondering it, Refalm, Ccan you choose which partition to install it on?
If it takes over a whole drive I will have to put it on of my dev machines rather than my main pc.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:52 am

you can choose which partition to install it on but i don't think it has a very good partition editor, you're better to fdisk or disk druid your partition using another linux first.

and it is caldera openlinux and redmond linux with a really nice gui (and a good set of apps for windows users) yes, lycoris desktop is actually the EXACT OS that lindows should have been. plus it's free and GPL.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:16 pm

My drive is already partitioned to the hilt, I will bung lycoris on one of them some time this week.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:38 am

lycoris is an irritating fsck! all the fonts are too small and my keyboard map is set wrong and i hate single clicking things to open a file, BUT if i change any of that in kcontrol it DOES NOT CHANGE!!!!!

that pisses me off. plus, lycoris will not install on a partition under about 2M it seems, even though it takes up only 950k or so when it is installed! :evil:

i suppose i will have to install a newer version of KDE, but that pisses me off because i want to retain the lycoris icon set etc. why could it not just be decent in the first place? and there's no excuse for only having mozilla 1.0 that's for sure. plus, if they had realplayer preinstalled, they could have made an effort and had openoffice and j2re as well.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:46 am

Calum wrote:that pisses me off. plus, lycoris will not install on a partition under about 2M it seems, even though it takes up only 950k or so when it is installed! :evil:
Wow! That's one tiny distro! It must be better than Knoppix because this one can fit entirely on a floppy disk. Sorry Calum, had to do it. I think you got your k's, M's and G's mixed up. :)

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:43 pm

Sorry can you correct the link? All i see is Windows ;) LOL

Still, good to see someone else has discovered Kmerlin ;D
Have you managed to try the new one? Looks mint, and has file sending.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 2:07 am

yeah okay, it's about 1 gigabyte when installed!