PC-BSD

Distributions that do not fit in the above categories (please limit discussion to freely available GNU/Linux/Hurd based distributions).
Ice9
guru
guru

PC-BSD

Post by Ice9 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:56 am

Writing this from a PC-BSD VM running in VMware.
This is a pretty cool distribution actually, one can point and click install pre-packaged software from their website.
I just installed Seamonkey 1.02 like this and it runs cool, kdesu asked me for the root password and then the system performed the install while adding desktop and menu icons (things that still fail regularly with the linux distros I tried), all from within a graphical app that seemed very polished.

Otherwise this seems like a KDE-based linux distro to me, the underlying system I don't know but the graphical part of it is very much like my own Debian desktop.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:44 am

no no no!

we've had this a good few times before, void main won't allow you to talk about bsd in here, not even in the lounge section!

i think perhaps there's some sort of dark secret in his past involving bsd, but i'm not sure... :lol:

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:40 am

really?
I was just about to further describe my impressions, but I can remove the post if BSD is not allowed in here, no problem. :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:05 am

It's not that *BSD isn't technically a good OS. It's the license that does not suit me. I don't recall making a specific rule that BSD talk isn't allowed here but I will certainly not create a seperate section for it and I believe may be what Calum is referring to if I recall correctly. I don't have a problem with this thread as it is.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:39 pm

What is it about the license you don't like Void?
I don't know much about it but I was under the impression that pretty much everything was allowed, even use the code in proprietary software ...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Ice9 wrote:What is it about the license you don't like Void?
I don't know much about it but I was under the impression that pretty much everything was allowed, even use the code in proprietary software ...
That's exactly the problem I have with the license.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:48 pm

You know I realized that while I was pressing the "submit" button.
And while I have no gripe with it whatsoever I can understand that you have a problem with it so I will refrain from posting *BSD stuff :wink:

I guess this makes it less than the ideal place to come and ask for help if I have problems with a *BSD huh? :D

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Calum wrote:no no no!

we've had this a good few times before, void main won't allow you to talk about bsd in here, not even in the lounge section!

i think perhaps there's some sort of dark secret in his past involving bsd, but i'm not sure... :lol:
Actually i think we came up with that BSD didnt belong in the "Other Distributions" (due to it not being a distro)... and that it is allowed in the Lounge.

And in relation to this thread... I like the BSD ports system and all. Thats why I orignally tried Gentoo (its portage system was inspired by the ports system), but lacking the choice for binary packages i dropped Gentoo.