Because I can keep on using it.

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Because I can keep on using it.

Post by Linux Frank » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:14 am

Even my 10 year old laptop can connect to the net, but not my friends inherited Mac, oh no. Can't even find a browser that works on OS 9. IE, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, Safari (Apples own), none of these work. And as a result she has gone back to M$ Windows POS, because whilst it is slow, buggy, unreliable and insecure, it kind of works.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:52 pm

surely she's not running windows on a mac, and if she is using an IBM type PC, why oh why isn't she using linux?

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:47 pm

Been away a while - life and stuff - you know.

Anyway you know that brick wall when you suggest a way to improve someones life. Yeah it's like that. She has two lappies. To quote 'I don't want to learn something new'.

No longer my roommate - still a friend, but one of those hopeless cases. I just keep sending her reports everytime another M$ compromise is found. Her boyfriend refuses to even put a firewall on his new computer (which he built). I am sure, but not 100% certain, that it is compromised, but how the hell do you tell someone who will not listen? She no longer uses the lappy.

They say things like there is not the software, and Linux is too hard to learn and yet she has watched my computer illiterate wife use it for years. My computer illiterate wife who can use numerous word processors, and spreadsheets, and browsers, and other software, and computers, without blinking an eye. Because she is smart. Oh she will say, this looks different, I'll spend 10 mins finding out a bit about how it works before I dive right in. Makes all the difference ... real intelligence.

anyway my point was that I could run FC2 on an old machine or RH7.3 on a newer machine, and still have both work. My point was posted because I was in an argument about what benefits (outside of OSS) Linux provided over Macs. Macs record on destroying perfectly good software for no reason is horrible.