Kernel nonpanic

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
worker201
guru
guru

Kernel nonpanic

Post by worker201 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:45 pm

Friday, I was updating my FC2 system with Synaptic. I was looking around, seeing if there was anything neat that I should be installing there, and I saw that they had a bunch of updated kernels. I've been running the same kernel (2.6.5-1.358) since first installing FC2, and have had no problems. But just for kicks, I decided to try out one of the newer ones. So I instructed Synaptic to get me 2.6.6-1.424. I was thinking that it would probably drop the bzImage somewhere, or I would have to build it from source. Nope. Nothing like that going on here. Synaptic completely installed the kernel. The appropriate vmLinuz and system.map files were placed in my boot directory, along with the old ones, just in case. It even modified grub for me, so I can boot to either kernel.

2.6.6 is goovy, I'm using it right now. I couldn't believe how easy this was! My first kernel experience was with Slackware, maybe I'm just jaded.

Now, the only way that I knew that everything was done right is because I know what to look for in the /boot directory, and I know how to read a grub file. And not every averageJoe can do that. But if you are willing to learn just a couple things, Linux can be a very rewarding and practical computing experience.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:01 pm

Good to hear. You are right, how can it get any easier? :)

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:07 pm

I have compiled 2.6.9-rc2 now, its running fine, I got rc1 complied (which I had a thread about) but it crashed when my nfsd started (froze) for some reason, there were no log messeges, so I just reverted back to 2.6.8.1 until... well today.