Various (drunken) observations

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Various (drunken) observations

Post by dishawjp » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi All,

I haven't been around much lately and I didn't want you folks to think that the ONLY times I post here is when I manage to hose my system :-)

Things have been real busy for me at both my jobs, but I got finished with my perl class tonight, figured I needed a few brews and would try to hose my FC3 Linux box by doing a kernel upgrade and some other minor miscellaney. But the damned thing just kept working perfectly! Oh, I had to run the nVIDIA shell script to keep 3D, and because I do run SELinux I had to do a "fixfiles relabel" in single user mode to even run the script... I guess that was the problem... I got a "permissions denied" error even as root the first time I tried to run it. But inside of 15 minutes or so, I had downloaded all the updates, including the new kernel, gotten 3D video back up and running and this old POS is just a-humming down the information highway.

I had some minor issues with my OpenOffice files a couple of weeks back when I upgraded my court computer from FC1 to FC3. But I was able to sort that (minor) mess out within about a 12 pack of LaBatts Blues (about 2 hours with my son that day). Then we went out to my neighbor's heifer farm and shot off a couple of hundred rounds of .22's at some tin cans while polishing off another twelver. But tonight's adventure only took about 2 beers.

The only thing that worries me about Linux is this; if it continues to be this trouble free and easy to use, what the heck will I use for an excuse to drink beer? I mean, sure, I can blame it on my kids taking their old man out for a few beers sometimes... but the long evenings of sitting in front of a computer pounding down the cold ones while sending up some sort of smoke signals for help from my overflowing ashtray.... are those evenings gone forever? How about being able to tell my wife to leave me the heck alone because I really have to get this computer back up and running. Are those days gone too? It sure looks like it.

Now I hate to admit this, but I do still have a MSWindows computer in my house. (Please don't tell anyone)! And in a few weeks I'll have to sweep the dust off the keyboard and fire it up again. Tax time is coming and I'm not willing to use a web-based program for security reasons (they might be using MSWindows servers) and the commercial software still doesn't support Linux. So maybe I will still be able to spend at least one evening....No! screw that.... I can't even think about the "scandisk" and "adaware" and "regclean" and "f-prot" and "defrag" and all that other crap that MS computer users have to put up with. I'll just run it once a year until it dies. Meanwhile I guess I'll just have to pretend that one of my Linux buckets is giving me trouble from time to time and get hammered while "fixing" it. Yeah, that's a plan!

Anyway, just checking in and saying "hi" to all you good folks and wishing you happy (and MS-free) computing.

Jim Dishaw

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:46 am

You know, if you're really jonesing for a headache, you could try getting a really old Linux to run on a modern computer. I would be more than happy to send you by mail (if you pay shipping) Mandrake 6.0 from 1998. Getting that thing to run with your nvidia card and a random USB device should consume a keg or 5!

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:41 am

Hey Worker,

That almost sounds like a plan. As a matter of fact, I still have RH6.1 kicking around. That would probably be almost as much fun as Mandy 6.0 :-)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jim

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:01 am

And I Will Try To Boot Kernel 0.01 On My Laptop.

Oh Yes!

Ok, maybe I won't.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:54 am

X11 wrote:And I Will Try To Boot Kernel 0.01 On My Laptop.

Oh Yes!

Ok, maybe I won't.
Why not? Here are some to play with:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... -versions/

It's fun just reading over the release notes.