Well... why do I like Linux?

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Jenda
programmer
programmer

Well... why do I like Linux?

Post by Jenda » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 am

Lemme think.

I like Linux because it's the right thing to do.
We are at the very beginning of the information era. We're in what the Kingdom was to Rome, what Dante was to Renaissance and what Athens were to democracy.
Imagine if we start out with a privately owned, closed protocol internet... imagine if what public phone lines and radio frequencies were owned by single entities just like Skype now owns it's network.
Imagine a rich airstocrat buying/claiming all the roads in an area in the 1600s. His family inherits these, and several centuries later, they all end up in the hands of a gigantic freight company. That company has 100% power over all the people in that area. THey can't move a muscle without the permission of that company, which may be given for a fee... or not at all, or only to some. What if the company owns all the rivers instead? All the seas? All the... phone lines? Operating systems? Document formats?
There's no difference. This way, we could actually end up with several entities with 100% power over us - nightmare in my eyes. I described this to show on a practical example how the problem's roots are always in who-comes-first. Let's not let anyone usurp what belongs to everone.

But the point isn't practical: it is philosophy.

Is it correct for anyone to usurp public resources or communications? All legal systems around the world have attempted to assess many problems of this sort (ie. intelectual property laws)... but this is never handled anywhere. We need to protect our freedom at all costs, and in advance.
The main focus, IMO, are communications, but time is cutting me short, because I have to go. Perhaps I'll finish the thought later :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:13 am

i agree, freedom of speech and freedom of movement.

anything else stifles creativity, just like it stifles health and enjoyment.

and it also stifles competition, so any freemarket capitalists need to rethink their strategy before defending these monopolistic "entrepreneurs".

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:01 pm

Yeah?

2 words for ya Calum...American CeNsOrEd....

hehehe...had to say it...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:50 am

i don't think i understand you... honestly.

sorry if i spoiled the joke!
:shock:

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Haha :-D

Yeah, umm... I didn't get it either, so I rather held my mouth shut in order not to look ignorant.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:55 am

LOL...It was a reference to my name change from AB to Joedude...nevermind lol.