Because of people like Linus, RMS, and PJ

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:41 am

It also would prevent a tiVO'ish scenario happening again. You wouldn't be able to lock code away in hardware and not be able to alter the code without the hardware working. v3 would force them to go to the author of the code and strike up a deal for his permission and a % of the take to make this legal.

As I understand it anyway.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am

ZiaTioN wrote:Actually what is done is done as far as GPLv2 code goes. Any company that currently has something licensed under GPLv2 can and probably will continue to make profit off of others free and open contributions.
And actually there is nothing wrong with them making a profit off of others free and open contributions. That is, as long as they give their users the same freedoms that the creators of the code require in the license.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:25 am

JoeDude wrote:It also would prevent a tiVO'ish scenario happening again. You wouldn't be able to lock code away in hardware and not be able to alter the code without the hardware working. v3 would force them to go to the author of the code and strike up a deal for his permission and a % of the take to make this legal.

As I understand it anyway.
Actually the hope would be for the manufacturer not to close up the code in the hardware in the first place rather than striking up any back door deals, which could be very difficult if there are a lot of contributors to the code (think kernel where there are thousands of copyright holders).

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:36 pm

lol...I wonder what the percent take on a kernel would be?

Here's your .58 cents, thanks for contributing to our multibillion $$$ project!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:49 am

how much would the administration for that cost? i am sure there would be a clause saying the admin costs would be taken off the top of the royalties to each author...

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:36 pm

"Here's $0.58 minus the $1.15 for administration... you owe us 57 cents"