Linuxcaffe

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Linuxcaffe

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:50 am

So i was reading digg or something the other day... i could have just been looking up cafe websites. But the thing is i found a place called the linuxcaffe right here in Toronto.

I convinced some people to skip the last two hours of class yesterday and come to the linuxcaffe. It is a geeks playhouse. There is wifi, rentable laptops. They are thinkpad600s running a thinclient of Ubuntu. The owner is a real linux fan. If you heard of the vista launch that was thwarted by a giant penguin handing out ubuntu CDs... that was these guys. Also, every available bookshelf or window ledge is covered with open source books from OSes to programming.

It was really an amazing place. Their website is linuxcaffe.ca and they've even opensourced their hot chocolate recipe. I never would have thought a place like this was anywhere near here.
Last edited by Master of Reality on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:31 am

Wow, that really is cool. Did they seem busy? Maybe they want to franchise? I wouldn't mind starting something like that down here.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Its a smallish place with about 7 tables inside, two bars at windows... so thats about 26 seats, plus a patio thats under about a foot of snow by now. While i was there about 5 hours there was always at least 6 other people there. There was 3 people that were on laptops the whole time with one of them being a rented laptop.

So it wasnt very busy, but it wasn't not busy. I hear he hosts user group meetings and such there as well as displaying local artwork.

I've been thinking about starting a coffee house for a while, maybe i'll ask him what he thinks of another location with the same name. This is actually the first cafe that i would consider decent in this city.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:28 pm

I wonder if there are any trademark issues using the name "Linux" for this business? Do you suppose he asked Linus for permission to use the name? It wouldn't surprise me that it would be alright with Linus.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:15 pm

That is one of the kewlest things I've heard about. I wish we had something like that here.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:27 am

Void Main wrote:I wonder if there are any trademark issues using the name "Linux" for this business? Do you suppose he asked Linus for permission to use the name? It wouldn't surprise me that it would be alright with Linus.
no it's no problem at all! check it out:
i found a place called the lunxcaffe right here in Toronto.
that doesn't contain the word "linux" at all so you're safe! :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 am

Heh heh, I saw that too. I guess if you misspell it Linus can't sue you. :)