++1 to like Linux; Desktops *no embedded images please*

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:46 pm

The window decorations.
The icon for video4linux device.
The icon with that little tux on the Kicker.
The icon for the terminal.
Also the codeweavers wine shortcuts (WMP etc) - It comes with mandrake boxed sets.

Thats about all that i saw, but yeh put two and two together :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:56 pm

Ok, I give. :) The "bash" prompt looks the same on all of them to me. I don't know much about the rest. :)

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:01 pm

I actually said the icon for the terminal but i was wrong *gasp*
I actually meant the icon with the spanner by it(7th down), some sort of config program I guess.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:17 pm

yeah, im on MDK9.0
I can't wait to get 9.1, cos im having trouble upgrading KDE3.0 to 3.1 where all the ko0l themes are at ;D
And i won't go into the troubles i had upgrading QT lol!

TheQuirk, could you possibly send me your icons pack?

Cheers ;D

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:21 pm

Tux wrote:The window decorations.
The icon for video4linux device.
The icon with that little tux on the Kicker.
The icon for the terminal.
Also the codeweavers wine shortcuts (WMP etc) - It comes with mandrake boxed sets.

Thats about all that i saw, but yeh put two and two together :)
You guessed half of that by luck ;)

-The icon with that little tux on the Kicker. <> This is Kmerlin i installed.

-Also the codeweavers wine shortcuts (WMP etc) - It comes with mandrake boxed sets. <> These didn't come as standard, i installed them from CodeWeaver's CrossOver Plugin ;D

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 2:18 am

it's fairly obvious that it's mandrake and i'll tell you why, in mandrake 9.0 there's no damn way to get rid of that accursed 'Removable Media' folder. I hate it. It was a major deciding factor in my move to red hat and then to slackware.

anybody who has used mandrake will know and hate that folder i am sure, and right enough, it's there in that screenshot. certainly anybody could create that icon on their desktop but why would you? anybody who has ever used mandrake probably hates this thing so nobody in their right mind would replicate it i am sure.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 01, 2003 5:04 am

Calum wrote:it's fairly obvious that it's mandrake and i'll tell you why, in mandrake 9.0 there's no damn way to get rid of that accursed 'Removable Media' folder. I hate it. It was a major deciding factor in my move to red hat and then to slackware.
If you follow this thread you should find several different methods for removing that ICON.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 5:47 am

thanks! still i no longer use mandrake so that thing will never plague me again. and what with mandrake going all GUI, you'd think they'd include this option in one of their control panels.

i only called it a folder because it displays directory contents in konqueror when you open it, btw, i am sure it's some kind of symlink in real life.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 01, 2003 6:21 am

Calum wrote:i only called it a folder because it displays directory contents in konqueror when you open it, btw, i am sure it's some kind of symlink in real life.
Actually, I'm sure you are right by calling it a folder (or directory would be even more appropriate, I believe "folder" is an icky term M$ came up with, but they probably stole it from Apple for all I know). I wasn't trying to place emphasis on "ICON" by capitalizing it if that's what you were thinking. I have always capitalized it because I have always thought that word to be an acronym. After checking my online dictionary I see I have always been wrong in doing this and now I realize I'm just dumb. :)

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Thu May 01, 2003 6:22 am

Cheers for that VoidMan, i now removed my Removable_Media and Video_Drive shortcuts :D

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 7:17 am

Void Main wrote:
Calum wrote:i only called it a folder because it displays directory contents in konqueror when you open it, btw, i am sure it's some kind of symlink in real life.
Actually, I'm sure you are right by calling it a folder (or directory would be even more appropriate, I believe "folder" is an icky term M$ came up with, but they probably stole it from Apple for all I know). I wasn't trying to place emphasis on "ICON" by capitalizing it if that's what you were thinking. I have always capitalized it because I have always thought that word to be an acronym. After checking my online dictionary I see I have always been wrong in doing this and now I realize I'm just dumb. :)
how amusing, although i don't think i'd ever say you were dumb!

now i think about it, i tend to only call them folders if they are in a GUI, folders go back to when i was using apple macs at high school, i only encountered windows when i went to college, so folders don't have the microsoft link for me. i only started thinking of them as directories in linux (even though my sister (an avid gamer) had introduced me to DOS which calls them directories) and for some reason i only think of them as directories if they are in some sort of textual list format. if they are just a big blob on the screen then they tend to get called folders, because i suppose right enough, that's what they are on a mac.

anyway that put you all to sleep, now what were we talking about?

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Fri May 23, 2003 7:18 pm

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Thu May 29, 2003 9:24 am

I like your choice of music, Calum

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 29, 2003 9:47 am

me too!

in case you are interested, most of the stuff i am listening to in those screenshots can be downloaded for free legally from:

http://gdlive.com/
and
http://www.monstermagnet.net/

the robert johnson stuff is from a CD i bought so i don't know if it's downloadable.

actually i just had a look and monster magnet have removed their B-Sides archive from their site, looks like i downloaded them all just in time!

and to keep it all on topic:
http://www.polytheism.org.uk/pix/peanut.jpg
a default enlightenment 0.16 desktop from Peanut Linux 9.4

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Thu May 29, 2003 10:03 am

i religiously find myself at gdlive.
bit of a dead guy myself. have around 10GB's of it downloaded and hidden on our IT share where I work!!

but back to the reason for the forum, I like linux because of the men and women of our Armed Forces who give me the right, and choice, and FREEDOM! to like a real operating system.