I Like Linux Because it's challenging

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Engineer
user
user

I Like Linux Because it's challenging

Post by Engineer » Mon May 05, 2003 10:22 pm

I have never had an easy time coloring between the lines, so to speak. So when I first heard of Linux from a co-worker (already being fed up with BSODs and Windows BS) I was immediately open to trying it, despite never even hearing of it before. I first installed RH 7.3 and became irratated after running into difficulties trying to set up a Counter-Strike server so I quit after about 2 mos.

6 Months later I got back on the bandwagon with RH 8 and MDK 9.0 and have been here ever since. While I am far from my goal of becoming fully migrated, mostly due to school, and work taking up my time. Just the fact that I believe in something different means a lot to me personally. I could care less what other people think, but for me being a conformist means failure when given an opportunity to try/do/change something new or different. That sounds pretty harsh but I get a lot of criticism from people, as I am sure we all do, "why even bother, MS is big" and yak yak yak, we've heard it all, and I find it disheartening that people would rather attack one personally, than even begin to try to understand them or what they are about/believe in.

Never being one to give up, I find Linux interesting, mainly because it is different and it does cause me to work harder, by choice and in my circumstances. I get bored easily with the monotonies of life commonly accepted by many as finite and infallible. Being challenged is what is what I find interesting in anything and the fact that it applies to my OS of choice is better.

That probably sounded like a load of crock but oh well :)

Dj

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Wed May 07, 2003 1:36 am

Chellenging?

cmalbanese
user
user

Post by cmalbanese » Wed May 07, 2003 2:08 am

dosent sound like a load of crap

The best way to learn a language is to get put into an environment where all you speak is that language. Got to france to learn french. Don't even think about using windows, just embed yourself. Linux is Logical you wont find your way through it Linux will show you.