Virus Virus Virus

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Virus Virus Virus

Post by Void Main » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:14 am

Maniaman
scripter
scripter

Post by Maniaman » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:48 pm

So true, So true.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:04 pm

Comments to a rebuttal of The Register article:
http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl ... ead&tid=23

I don't know why I even argue any more. I should just continue to be happy in my virus free life. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:05 pm

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Very true

If we Linux People thought that Linux was perfectly secure then we wouldnt have sites and other services running to tell us when an exploit is out, we wouldnt be running firewalls, or many other precautions we take.

To write a Virus for Linux you would need to do a lot of things
* include enough root exploits to make it worthwhile (you would need exploits that can attack a large amount of different software, due to the widespread use different software in Linux).
* find a way for the user to download an execute it, could be done... not very easliy... possibly with mozilla... but then it would be fixed quickly, and when theres a security issue in Mozilla, the project are quick to fix it, so you would need to find one or more ways.
* a method for it to spread easily to other systems, and other things.

What we see already (apart from the fact it looks more like a worm), is that for a Virus to cause considerable damage to a large amount of Linux systems, you would need to include so many different forms of exploits and other things that the Virus would become so large that it would immediatly become difficult to spread anywhere quick because of its size.

With Windows, writing a virus or a worm isnt entirely difficult, at all really... well read the article and you will know.