just a small entertainment.

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

just a small entertainment.

Post by Linux Frank » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:57 pm

Don't know if you all seen this, but

http://www.novell.com/

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:14 pm

I don't have an official take on the Novell aquisition yet but I believe it to be a positive thing if you want to see Linux deployed more rapidly in businesses. It's really nice to see big name companies moving it to the front line as you see on Novell's web site. No longer do we have to talk quietly about it around our bosses and we can actually tell them now that Linux is the glue that has been holding the company together over the last several years.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:03 pm

my immediate reaction is "kick ass"

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:55 pm

At the end of the day Novell have always been a very competent company - It is just their awareness of the competition that was the problem. M$ might well now be a forgotten name had they paid full attention to the game. All in all, I'll wait and see.

I just got a huge kick that Novell are now so committed and are that scared of SCO that they make the front page of their website chant LINUX in huge letters. I mean no OS I have ever been around has felt this good.

As for the official take, SuSE has two primary problems. It has a large chunk of proprietary code that is YaST (I believe there is other stuff) and it has no ISOs available. If it can remove the non-free software (GPL it or whatever) and give us downloadable ISOs (ones we can copy ad infinitum) then I hate to say it but after the RH/Fedora issues we could have the business distro of choice.

I have to say with mandrake releasing the most general user friendly distro of GNU/LInux I have ever used - Easier then XP (without a doubt), SuSE on the verge of a huge gain, Sun selling all over China, Turbolinux starting to go through the roof in Asia, reports of the 2.6 kernel very favorable, and I'm certain a company very big in computers is going to start offering non M$ tax options to home users very soon. Oh and what is the Latin distro of choice (Linux portugese?), that is effectively a US$3 billion pump into Linux from Brazil - great I just realized me and my Brazilian neighbour have something in common, we can learn linux at the local community centre. And to top it all my pro M$ boss actually cursed at a piece of M$ware today (I have never heard him do this before) - The world is looking Linux, to mine eyes at least.

That is why I like Linux, I actually enjoy computers again - God it's been 15 years+ since I actually enjoyed using a computer.

Kick ass indeed.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:45 pm

That is why I like Linux, I actually enjoy computers again - God it's been 15 years+ since I actually enjoyed using a computer.
I have to say that after years of computer ennui, Linux has reignited MY love of computers. Years of Windows had managed to just about extinguish any enthusiasm I had for anything computer-related. It was just drudgery, problems and.... work. I really did love VMS and OpenVMS (which still lives for non-x86 systems), but damn.... this Linux stuff makes computing not only productive, but fun again.

Thanks again to all here (and those in that forum whose name shall not be mentioned) who helped me to learn Linux and rediscover the pleasure that computing *can* be in a non-M$ dominated or should I say "M$-perverted" environment.

Jim Dishaw

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:25 pm

Linux Frank wrote:At the end of the day Novell have always been a very competent company - It is just their awareness of the competition that was the problem.
i have to disagree, in a way. Novell made one huge ass up, but recovered very well, by paring down their aims and aiming specifically at one type of product. Of course you know this because...
M$ might well now be a forgotten name had they paid full attention to the game.
very true. Novell's timing really did suck.

on this issue at hand:
i hope it's good. it remains to be seen,but it certainly gives linux even more credibility in the eyes of more and more sheeple (or so i would have thought).

probably kick ass.
Last edited by Calum on Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuSELinux
user
user

Post by SuSELinux » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:48 am

Calum wrote: sheeple
HAHA, I'll have to remeber that.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:47 pm

Thing is Novell has made mistakes in the past. They bought Star Word and messed it up. I think they also bought Corel Linux and messed that up to...We'll have to wait and c what happends to SUSE

[root@localhost /]#
user
user

Post by [root@localhost /]# » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:02 pm

so, when do we get an official Novell client for linux? I can see what they want in the companies they bought:
Ximian Inc.: Evolution, expect groupwise connectivity soon
SUSE: they needed a distro to put it into

hopefully they won't kill it like wordperfect and and friends.