Professor Eben Moglen's appearance at Harvard

Are you a Linux advocate? Post your success stories here.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Professor Eben Moglen's appearance at Harvard

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:50 pm

I just watched Professor Eben Moglen's speech and Q&A webcast from Harvard. I must say it was something to watch and well worth the hour of my time:

http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/p.cgi/speakers.html

You can see it in the archives in the above link, along with a previous speaker by the name of Darl McBoob, I mean McBride. The video is in RealVideo format unfortunately and although MPlayer and Xine can play RealVideo format (if you have downloaded/installed the codecs) they seemed to have problems with this videa (would start playing and freeze up). I had no problem viewing it with the open source version of RealPlayer called "Helix" though. I also had to use the rtsp URL rather than the pnm URL. Basically I used this command to stream the webcast:

Code: Select all

$ hxplay "rtsp://140.247.200.185:7070/jolt/spring_04/2004-02-23_ae_0630-0830.rm?cloakport=8888,554,7070"
I thought I saw a link to it in another format at the groklaw article but looking back on it I can't seem to find the link.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:22 pm

If you get a chance, also watch the McBribe video. I started to watch it but had to turn it off after about 5 minutes because he seemed extremely nervous and couldn't get a thought out sideways. Reminded me of my first speech in front of classmates back in grade school. If he's just that mixed up in real life they don't have a chance. Of course he has to be that mixed up in the head to come up with those wacky Linux hallucinations.