YDL ISO's not ISO's?

Place to discuss YDL
AudioMechanic
n00b
n00b

YDL ISO's not ISO's?

Post by AudioMechanic » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:36 am

Hmm...I'm trying to download YDL's OS in ISO format off of there website. The burning program I use on my Mac is Toast Titanium 5.0. For those familiar with Toast, you have to mount the ISO image before you can create a CD from it. I dowloaded the first disk but I can't mount it. It doesn't seem to be in ISO format (that or Toast doesn't recognize it)!

My question: my girlfriend has a Win 2K box (I know, I know. I'm workin on her :wink: ) with EZ CD creator. Does Windoze do anything to the disk if it's an ISO image? In other words, if I download YDL to her computer and I am able to burn, can I then boot to that CD on my Mac? Does windows do any kind of wierd formatting (I wouldn't be surprised if it does) or does it just put exactly what is on the image onto the CD?

Thanx in advance for any replies.

P.S.: Void Main: Great job on the message board!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:57 am

ok, well i have never had any problems with toast when i used it at work last year, but i was not burning isos so that's not really valid is it? anyway this little howto might contain something that makes you leap up and shout "aha!".

If not, check out these other ISO howtos for various CD burning programs. I can vouch that the Nero instructions are 100% correct, as i used those instructions to burn the ISO of FreeDOS8.1b (which is not an ISO from that same site) so while i have never tried using EZCD i think their howtos are fairly reliable on that basis.

good luck.

AudioMechanic
n00b
n00b

Post by AudioMechanic » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:09 pm

The first link makes sense except, where do I download the LinuxPPC_Install.smi.bin file from? Do I need to download a specific LinuxPPC_Install.smi.bin file for evey ISO?

Wait a sec.....I just went to Yellow Dog's site and inside the FTP download directory where the ISO's are, there is a read me file. Down at the bottom of this file, it says that mounting the CD image the then burning it will not work. Well, I guess I'll have to use my girlfriends *shudder* windoze PC. She has Nero Burning ROM. Hopefully it won't alter any of the data or format the disk .

Thanks for the reply and the help, Calum! :D I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:36 am

i swear to you the linuxiso Nero instructions work 100% well. Assuming windows doesn't knacker your CD up it will work fine (or my name's not Freddy!)*

* joke :)

JimmyJames
user
user

Post by JimmyJames » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:07 pm

Use Apple Disc Utility to burn the images instead of Toast. That's how I did it and it was fine.