Yep Suse 10.1

Place to discuss SUSE
moto526
scripter
scripter

Yep Suse 10.1

Post by moto526 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:19 pm

Well I had my wondows 2000 machine just sitting there looking at me saying "hey what about me"? So I grabed my new copies of Suse 10.1 and installed it... All I can say is Suse is very nice to look at and that is about all the time I had for today to look at it. I am new to the linux world and really seem to be jumping in head first (Thanks Void!)...

I really LOVE the look of Suse and I have a lot more to learn with my Fedora distro first before I sink me teeth into Suse, but I can't believe more people are not in this section of the forum, it sure looks like a sweet os.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:50 pm

So I don't get Gnome and KDE desktops, what are the differences?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:54 pm

Some people like KDE, some like GNOME, some like WindowMaker, some like Enlightenment, some like XFce, some like blackbox, some like mwm, some like openlook, some like IceWM, some like fvwm, some like twm, some like.... Me, I like them all. :)

http://xwinman.org/

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Man I really like Suse but it is way harder to use for me... Fedora will be staying my main machine...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Interesting, what are some examples of things that seem harder? Is it KDE that seems harder than GNOME (because you can run either on both distros), or is it the management tools that SUSE includes vs the management tools that Fedora includes? Or something else?

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:29 am

Well when I installed Suse I went with Gnome.

When I installed Fedora I could do so much right from the get go but for Suse I can't get into my network folders set up. To me having all the computers connected is a big issue...

I will say that I have only spent about 20-30 min in Suse and I will figure it out and get it all set up.

I really think Suse is the next big thing, I mean seriously it will run on almost anything and looks very nice.

I watch DL.tv's podcast and they showed Suse 10.1 in this 3'd enviornment and it looked sweet! You need a 128mb graphics card for 3d but still is very little compaired to vista.

I want to play more with Suse and then start to promote it to my friends and family, with all this open source software it's kind of easy to talk people in to trying it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:09 am

moto526 wrote:Well when I installed Suse I went with Gnome.
SUSE is traditionally a KDE based distro. I've never actually used GNOME on SUSE. The last realease I have installed was 9.x.
When I installed Fedora I could do so much right from the get go but for Suse I can't get into my network folders set up. To me having all the computers connected is a big issue...
I guess by "network folders" you mean Windows network shares? For someone like me that has no relevance because I don't use Windows or Windows file shares. Are you saying you had an easier time getting Samba working on FC5 than on SUSE? In the Linux/UNIX world that kind of sharing is done with NFS and has been around a lot longer (and of course Windows doesn't support it).
I really think Suse is the next big thing, I mean seriously it will run on almost anything and looks very nice.
SUSE does have its enthusiasts but I haven't heard of anything earth shattering that would make it the next big thing. There has been several major events in it's 14 year history that could have make it the next big thing but none have caused it to get a significantly bigger piece of the market share. I figured when Novell bought them out it would have made either a huge increase in market share or a huge decrease. I wasn't sure what to expect when they took over. Ultimately I don't think it really changed anything as far as market share.
I want to play more with Suse and then start to promote it to my friends and family, with all this open source software it's kind of easy to talk people in to trying it.
For some reason I always come back to Fedora (actually Red Hat in the earlier days). I do really like FC5 but there have been some choices by the people steering the core of that distro that have annoyed me greatly. Almost so that I nearly said goodbye to Red Hat and Fedora forever (and I have been with them since they came into existence). If I did say goodbye Debian would be it's replacement. Debian is actually the most popular distro as it is the base for the majority of other distros out there. It also will run on more architectures than any other distro. I have run it on x86, Sparc, Alpha, PPC, and MIPS processors. SUSE is very good though. Since Novell bought them out they have found their way into a lot more of corporate America, a place Red Hat traditionally had a lock on (with their "Enterprise" line).

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:06 pm

Yea I mean network folders...

Darn windows!

Any way... :twisted:

Yea I spent some more time in Suse yesterday and the more I play with it the more I am attracted to Suse than Fedora, but the problem is I have this fedora machine all set up the way I want it and I like it. Oh well, I guess the suse machine can sit in the garage and I can have it out there for when I am working on the dirt bikes and I need the internet or music.

Suse looks like it would be the mother of all servers! It is loaded up with apps by the look of things.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:52 am

One of the nicer things I found about SuSE was that almost all configuration could be done through YAST. It grabbed all the packets it needed, told you which ones you didn't have and offered to download them for you and even took care of dependencies for you. YAST has some bugs, but it worked great for me...

This coming from a guy who actually amazed void because I had screwed SuSE up so much I had to reinstall....

I really like SuSE, but to be fair, I haven't given many other distro's a fair try either.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Well I think I just hosed it up today...

I started the IM client for the first time tody and added my first username and boom, locked up... After 20 min I did a hard re-start and that did it...

I tried to repair and that didn't work... Oh well play some more and maybe I can get it to boot.... :evil:

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:16 pm

So I pulled a bone head move today... :oops:

Suse is running great but my hard drive cable was not fully attached... :oops:

Suse is back up and on the net.... :D

I have been listening to a few new podcasts on Linux and I am learning alot!

http://www.linuxreality.com/

Going over the basics and that is what I need....

I think Void is proud! :shock:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:22 pm

Outstanding! I figured something hardware wise must have been up because I never heard of an IM app in user space killing a Linux installation. That just don't happen. :)

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:52 pm

Does this not look great!

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:04 am

I see the hidden swastika...

Void Main
Site Admin