ntfs of Suse

Place to discuss SUSE
moto526
scripter
scripter

ntfs of Suse

Post by moto526 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:54 pm

How do I get Suse to see my network folders on my windows server?

It was easy on fedora but they are not showing up in Suse...

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Screen Shot:

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:32 am

I wasn't aware SuSE could see NTFS files...or is that a new feature?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:43 am

If you are connecting to a Windows share over a network then NTFS has no bearing on the situation. You don't even need NTFS support installed on the Linux client for that. It is SMB at that point and the underlying file system on the Windows machine is not significant. I assume your Samba options need to be tweaked but I don't have a copy of SUSE installed (or a Windows machine) so I can't be of much help. As far as SUSE having NTFS support, it's just a Linux kernel module so if it doesn't have support compiled in you can recompile the kernel with it enabled, or if it's like Fedora you can grab an RPM with a precompiled module for whatever kernel version you have installed. But like I said, you don't need NTFS support to connect to a remote Windows share regardless what the underlying file system is on the remote Windows machine. The only time you need NTFS support installed is if you have a hard drive directly attached to your machine with an NTFS partition on it that you want to mount directly. To remotely mount a share (using the mount command) you would need either smbfs or cifs support, or just use a samba client which doesn't need anything special other than Samba.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Well I have tried a lot of things in Yast with samba, I can get the machines to show up but I can't get in...

Also I created a share on suse and I can see them also on other machines but it prompts me for a user name and pass... I enter my user name and pass for my account and it still will not let me in... :evil:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 am

Here's a long tutorial with lots of screenshots. Don't know if it will help you or not:

http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

I didn't read into it too much but there are some things I see that shouldn't be necessary like putting static IP addresses on all his clients for SUSE firewall reasons. Again, I just briefed over it.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:24 pm

Thanks! That worked....! :)

Hey how is this possible?

Photoshop and word?? On suse?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:30 pm

moto526 wrote:Photoshop and word?? On suse?
Yep, either WINE or Crossover Office (probably the latter). Of course you could also run a copy of Windows with all of those apps in a VMware session but that would be cheating. :) I prefer the native/free apps though (The Gimp and OpenOffice.org).

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Yea I know all you open guys and how you work now... :D

After listening to about 15 hours of Linux podcasts I am getting more and more happy that I have moved 2 of my computers to linux.

Suse 10.1 is getting easier to use and I am really thinking about setting my my laptop to have a dual boot option.

Sorry to say I will never leave microsoft but I will be adding a lot more time to being in the linux world. I have all my web design software that I can not live with out and not having that is not an option.

Fedora and Suse are very exciting to me and I am pisted that I am getting into this late in the game. :evil:

I love Suse!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:16 am

moto526 wrote:Sorry to say I will never leave Micro$oft but I will be adding a lot more time to being in the linux world. I have all my web design software that I can not live with out and not having that is not an option.
Heh heh, you say that now...

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:29 am

Well maybe once I understand Suse more, then things will change but for now.