So am I the only one who runs Suse?

Place to discuss SUSE
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

So am I the only one who runs Suse?

Post by bazoukas » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:07 pm

:( Where are the rest of you?
I decided to give Suse 8.1 a drive and so far I like it.
I didnt move to RH9 because i found the whole thing a little too shady, am talking about the version numbers.

Any other Susies out there?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:41 am

nope, you're the only one!
interesting you mention it actually, i see less suse users posting in forums than i saw about a year ago...

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:51 am

Dunno man, but SUSE so far runs smooth and stable. I REALLY like it.
The dual boot setup award though goes to RH hands down. Easy breeze.

Ill see whats the story with Apache in Suse.

I need to install RH9. Curiosity is getting the best of me.

cmalbanese
user
user

Post by cmalbanese » Thu May 01, 2003 1:44 am

Ive been running SuSE 8 and now 8.1 for about a year. I am by no means an expert just a fanatic :shock:

The nice thing about SuSE is of course Yast.

The worst thing about SuSE is of course "YOU" not you but "YOU" (Yast On demand Upgrade).

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Thu May 01, 2003 3:56 pm

from what i can tell, RH is more of a Server oriented OS. More utilities to monitor you network and in general the server "stuff" are right on your face waving their hands to you as if the itnernet is going out of style.

On the other hand, Suse has all the server "stuff" but they are, lets say hidden if you will. You need to do a little search to find everything.

Then again, if you know your shells, you dont need the GUIs too much neither in RH and in SUSE.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 02, 2003 1:42 am

the huge amount of GUI tools in red hat make me think it is not so much a server OS (why have a GUI on a server?) as a replacement for winNT, just like mandrake looks like a replacement for win9x (complete with 'how do i do that' disappointments).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri May 02, 2003 8:03 am

Like many distros, Red Hat is both a Server OS *and* a desktop system. It's all in how you install it. If you select "Server Install" you are going to get a minimal of desktop items and a maximum of server items installed. I personally do a "custom" install for every install I do because I usually want to select *exactly* what I want installed.

At one time I would do a *custom* install and just install everything so I could use everything and determine what I needed and what I didn't. I now have enough information/knowlege about all of the apps to know what I need and don't need. For those that don't have that level of understanding there are installation types that you can select from:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... -type.html

If you'll notice you can do a server class installation and opt not to install the graphical environment (I do not install X on servers but as I said I do this via a "custom" install).

Now on the other hand Microsoft Windows NT Server and Windows NT Workstation are actually both the same operating system. The difference is on the workstation CD they leave off a few simple tools that would be used if it were set up as a server. And of course they make a few registry entries to limit (cripple) the number of TCP/IP connections to 10 along with a few other minor things. Yes, you can make a few registry changes and turn your NT Workstation into NT Server, that is if you weren't restricted by your EULA ®.

I prefer to get everything in one package like Red Hat does it and be allowed to use it however I want.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Sat May 03, 2003 2:01 pm

Giorgo (bazoukas), you're certainly not the only one running SuSE Linux. :D I'm using SuSE Linux since version 6.2 in fact and I could say that it's my distro of choice. However, I have some complaints from 8.1:

1) What the hell did they put that OOo icon on the freakin desktop? Each time you click on it, regardless if you've actually installed OOo, it brings up the installation screen all over again. Weird.

2) YOU (Yast Online Update), rarely works. I hope they did some work on that in 8.2.

3) The font server in 8.1 sucks, especially when you use Greek (you know what I mean) as your main language.

That's about it. Other than that, everything seems to work fine. :D

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Mon May 05, 2003 5:39 pm

Oh yeah, i didnt mean to say that RH cannot be used as a Desktop OS. It can act as Desktop OS with no problem what so ever. Nothing is missing for the user to have a pleasent time doing his desktop work. Its just that RH has more GUI utilities to monitor if you use it as a server with the X "turned on" and all the server stuff are BAM right there under your nose. In suse you have to search for them a little.

Pano i tried YOU 5 days ago and it worked for me :shock: and i updated my system with it even the NVdia drivers.

Yeah the font server does suck big time with the Greek letters :( :(

About the icon I deleted the sucker after OOo was installed. :twisted:

BTW Pano the design of the web site,,,,JUST RULES. Excellent work and the content of the web site is VERY good as well man. Nice job guys.

ELLHNARA! :D

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Mon May 05, 2003 6:34 pm

bazoukas wrote:Oh yeah, i didnt mean to say that RH cannot be used as a Desktop OS. It can act as Desktop OS with no problem what so ever. Nothing is missing for the user to have a pleasent time doing his desktop work. Its just that RH has more GUI utilities to monitor if you use it as a server with the X "turned on" and all the server stuff are BAM right there under your nose. In suse you have to search for them a little.

Pano i tried YOU 5 days ago and it worked for me :shock: and i updated my system with it even the NVdia drivers.

Yeah the font server does suck big time with the Greek letters :( :(

About the icon I deleted the sucker after OOo was installed. :twisted:

BTW Pano the design of the web site,,,,JUST RULES. Excellent work and the content of the web site is VERY good as well man. Nice job guys.

ELLHNARA! :D
Thanks man! I spent the last two months working on the site and I've literally changed more than 10 designs. That was until I discovered Xoops, an excellent CMS written fully in Object Oriented PHP. The best part is that Xoops, along with PHPNuke, PostNuke etc is GPL'd. :)

As for the content, if you have anything to contribute please do so. Just register and then submit anything you might have of interest. That goes of course for anyone.

Now, back to SuSE. I wouldn't want Void to think that I'm using these boards for advertising purposes. :) Well, I was in downtown Athens a few days ago and saw SuSE Linux 8.2. I didn't buy it though, eventhough I was more than tempted to do so. The reason was that I still don't know enough about it yet. Have you heard anything or do you have any personal experience? If it's better than 8.1 I'll rush off and buy it. :)

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Fri May 23, 2003 7:12 pm

sorry for the delay!

Well people I can safely say that Suse 8.2 kicks some MAJOR butt. End of story.
What i love about it, is that its polished down to the smallest detail.
Another thing that I love about it is that if you want to configure your system using GUI you still see the config files and their options. You have to see it for your self really to know what I mean.

Its the Distro that I was looking for a long time. Its MUCH MUCH MUCH more polished than RH8.0 ( i cant speek for RH9 since I havent tried it)up to the point where it makes RH8.0 look extremly sloppy on the desktop side. Infact I can say that when it comes into polished edges it reminds me ALOT of RH7.3 my favorite so far RH distro.

With 8.2 everything works right from your first boot. And YAST makes your life REALLY easy when it comes in installing/updating your system from your cds/DVD or by just using one of the many SUSE update sites the SUSE provides. Its resembles apt get.

No need to buy it re sarabalo. I can make a copy of the DVD for you and send it to you.

sorry for typeos.,....am VERY tired!!!

cmalbanese
user
user

Post by cmalbanese » Mon May 26, 2003 1:37 am

I've been using SuSE 8.2 for about a month or so

Its the greatest, I got the whole pro package but just upgraded my 8.1

:lol:

On the surface a couple of icons were different, and the startup no longer shows the CLI going through the rounds but rather a SuSE logo with a status bar underneath.

But I have to tell you everything that you might have had a hard time running in 8.1 actually works now. Some of the apps in 8.1 would open but then immediatly crash or suddenly disapear. No more.

Its really great you've gotta try it

I feel that I may be spoiling this forum because I don't have alot of expertise to offer

But hey I am one of the few who actually use Linux as a

[/b]desktop[b] OS[/b]

cmalbanese
user
user

Post by cmalbanese » Mon May 26, 2003 1:38 am

I've been using SuSE 8.2 for about a month or so

Its the greatest, I got the whole pro package but just upgraded my 8.1

:lol:

On the surface a couple of icons were different, and the startup no longer shows the CLI going through the rounds but rather a SuSE logo with a status bar underneath.

But I have to tell you everything that you might have had a hard time running in 8.1 actually works now. Some of the apps in 8.1 would open but then immediatly crash or suddenly disapear. No more.

Its really great you've gotta try it

I feel that I may be spoiling this forum because I don't have alot of expertise to offer

But hey I am one of the few who actually use Linux as a

[/b]desktop[b] OS[/b]

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Mon May 26, 2003 1:44 am

i dont know if you noticed but during bootup you can hit F2 and it will show you in detail the bootup proccess.

And yo are right. 8.1 was kinda messed up big time/

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Mon May 26, 2003 5:54 am

bazoukas wrote: No need to buy it re sarabalo. I can make a copy of the DVD for you and send it to you.
That'd be great! PM me for the rest! I'm currently using RH8.0 but since SuSE has always been my favorite and you guys rave about how great 8.2 is, I'd be more than happy to give it a try. :wink: