So am I the only one who runs Suse?

Place to discuss SUSE
Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:00 pm

No need to send SuSE 8.2 George. I got it (the pro edition) 2 days ago from a friend and I really don't know what to say first! Ok, if I have to sum everything up in a single sentence, it would be something like:

This is absolutely the easiest, most stable, most configurable and all in all best Linux distribution I've ever tried!!

You people only have to see it to believe it! Everything is polished down to the most minor detail, as bazoukas wrote. The fonts are great, YOU works from the very start without the slightest glitch, the menu is dead easy to use etc. Oh, and about the installation, it's about the easiest and most idiot-proof I've ever seen. Man, Linux just can't get easier. I'll be showing some screenshots soon!

PS
Oh and when using YOU, you're given the option to install M$'s TTF. Everything's done automatically. Great, just great! :D

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:08 am

Yep, YAST just makes everything really easy easy.

SuSELinux
user
user

Post by SuSELinux » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:55 pm

Do I even have to say anything?

I really like SuSE, but I am getting a little worried about what they have been saying

"There is only enough room for SuSE and RedHat"

I think there is enough room for more than that, but I do see their point. Linux will only break through walls, and windows ( a pun) if standardization is found.

I would like to se SuSE make their own version of OOo, not that it's bad right now, just a little ugly. I would like to see some Crystal style icons in it.

I am a Desktop user, and that is where I see much of SuSE's strength.

divali
n00b
n00b

Post by divali » Wed May 05, 2004 8:27 am

I've used mandrake,knoppix,slackware,fedora,mulinux,puppylinux

and now I'm back with Suse 8.1 and at last I've got the Distro that does just what I want with the minimum amount of fuss and hassle.

divali

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Wed May 05, 2004 8:49 am

Now they are going to GPL yast, I'll be able to get copies of it for free (I hope), and I can try it. Maybe they will even start to mirror it in ISO form. If so then I'll look at it, but until they do I have too much other stuff to do first.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Wed May 05, 2004 3:46 pm

I'd also like to try SUSE, it sounds very cool.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:30 am

Want Suse?

http://ftp.ntua.gr/

enjoy ;)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:32 am

I've been using SuSE 9 for about 8 months now. It's worked out great for me. I'm still a newb and don't have the time I'd like to research and study linux use more. But the transition from windows was easy thanx to SuSE. Yast worked smoothly for the install...except for some dependency issues when I tried doing what VOID discussed (install everything). I don't know yet what I need versus what I want. So I tried to install it all, then lack of knowledge hits home again, I didn't know which packages to remove/add to the install list to reslove the conflicts. For the most part, any other install method took care of the dependencies for me and then was even courteous enough to tell me what it did. YOU can be a bit odd every now and then, but usually it runs without any problem and makes some kewl faces in the doc to let me know when I need to interact with it.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:54 am

As a person who used to add rpms via command line religiously, let me just say this:
Synaptic is the cat's meow. Honestly, I don't know how I survived without it.
Synaptic is part of the apt process, and I don't know how well it works in Suse, but I guarantee the results are worth the five minutes it takes to try it out. Give it a run, see if it works out for you. Much better than Yast, I swear.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:09 pm

I shall try that. Thanx for the suggestion.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:24 am

so.

i finally got SUSE. it's now free finally, as a "personal edition" and can be got from our favourite online linux "shop", linuxiso.org as a free download.

it's great. it does what mandrake, xandros and red hat (but not fedora, i have never had any luck with it) were all almost doing, ie user friendliness on the desktop et cetera.

so now i have got suse on the computer, and am settling in i want of course to change things probably till they break and i have to fix them!

for a start off, how can i add more repositories (oh, is that dodgy terminology?) for use within YOU? i have been using apt for so long that i really can't live without it, but i am confident that you has everything i need if i can just get used to it. however the packages available from SUSE by default are a bit sparse compared with what you can get for debian sarge so i'm eager for a way to get YOU to see more stuff out there, especially as the alternative is to trawl the web downloading dodgy rpms with broken dependencies! (still haven't found a version of sylpheed that i can use, and i had to --nodeps when installing xcdroast, it works fine, but wrongly implied there would be version dependency problems when i installed it)

so, how do i get YOU organised? (so to speak!)

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:35 am

Suse 9.1 pro is my primary distro to add sources to YOU there is an option in YAST to change installation source where you can add more locations .. also i like using apt via apt-get command line for packages that are not covered by YOU you can get excellent info on apt for suse at http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

enjoy
cdhgold

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:51 am

nice! i must admit i am a lot more at home using apt than something (shock horror!) new, but then maybe i should make the effort to learn.

thanks for that

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:39 pm

man! apt kicks @$$!

i just have to use that now. it wins! still i have to ocassionally go to rpm.pbone.net (the only online rpm site worth using!) for some unusual stuff (like zsnes or snes9x) or for some packages to satisfy dependencies, apt still not 100% on that one. still i like the way apt is chatty and will tell me what problem it is having so i can fix it easily.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:42 pm

snes9x is awesome. Finding good games is half the fun!