Knoppix: neither serial or PS/2 mouse working...

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Refalm
user
user

Knoppix: neither serial or PS/2 mouse working...

Post by Refalm »

I haven't got much luck on the Microsoft Eradication Society Forums with my problem, so I though I'd ask it here...
Refalm: When I booted the Linux distribution, everything, including internet just worked... except for one thing... the mouse. The mouse cursor just stood still in the middle of the screen. I rebooted, unplugged my PS/2 mouse and connected my serial mouse, but that wasn't succesfull either.

Everything works fine, except the mouse... now this is kinda hard for me, because I don't know the shortcuts...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Possibilities:

http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/d ... 01063.html

Or maybe try a combination of boot options from here:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

I would suggest doing a vga=normal, pci=irqmask=0x0e98, and maybe a bunch of the "no*" options all at the same time.

Refalm
user
user

Post by Refalm »

Nope, didn't work... the Knoppix website also said that I should do a BIOS upgrade... that didn't help either...

When in expert mode, you can load drivers off a floppy disk... do you happen to know where to obtain such drivers for my PS/2 or serial mouse?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

did you ever get this working btw?

also, unrelated: is knoppix rpm based? or what?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Calum wrote:also, unrelated: is knoppix rpm based? or what?
Nope, it's Debian based (SID I believe).

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

well it has the "rpm" command, so im pretty sure you can install rpms on it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I didn't realize it had the rpm command, but I doubt it's for actually installing RPMs. It's more likely that it is there so you can query RPM packages and maybe extract files using other related utilities like rpm2cpio (don't know if that command is installed or not). Or it would be needed if it has the "alien" command installed which is used to convert RPM packages to *.deb. But this is just speculation on my part, I don't actually know anything for sure.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i have heard there is a script you can run in knoppix that will install it to your hard drive. once you have done that, things like rpm start to have more of a purpose, i would have thought.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

knoppix on the harddrive, wow that would be great.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Doogee wrote:knoppix on the harddrive, wow that would be great.
You're damn right it is.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

just like debian, but easier, hehehe

nah seriously though if i could get knoppix on my harddrive i wouldnt hesitate to use it as my main distro, for a few weeks at least to try it out.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk »

At the boot prompt, you have a "help" option. Click it, and it'll explain what to enter to install Knoppix. There are other options aswell, such as "knoppix 2" (I think) which lets you use CLI exclusivly.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i think i might actually install knoppix over my debian partition, i haven't booted into debian much due to it being kind of hard to set up initially. does knoppix use all the debian packages and so on? i want to get used to that stuff and don't want to get rid of debian if i will lose the ebility to play with .deb packages.

Refalm
user
user

Post by Refalm »

OK, my mouse is working, and the problem was not the Trust AMI mouse and not the AOpen AX6BC motherboard. It was the videocard. After having enough of my 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000, I decided that it was time to buy a new one. I bought a GeForce 4 MX-440 128 MB DDR-RAM.

A week later, I noticed that KDElook.org had some cool new themes, so I decided to try it out. After I had booted Knoppix for over 15 minutes, I exedently touched my mouse, and by my surprise the mouse cursor moved :D

Now to answer some questions: Knoppix has RPM support, but it doesn't appear to work very well. However, every DEB file I tried worked very good.
You can install Knoppix on your hard-disk, STFW for a tutorial.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i am interested: did you successfully get knoppix to install in any language other than german? i could not get any of the settings to change in the hard drive version, so you would change them but they would just reset without applying the changes. one of these settings was the whole thing was in german. not a big deal but my girlfriend said she couldn't use an operating system in german plus i do not like using systems that won't do what i tell them to.

good for you getting your mouse to work too! maybe you should drop the knoppix folks a line telling them, or is that considered bad form?