File Transfer - my ignorance is showing

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

File Transfer - my ignorance is showing

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:41 am

I have a laptop running Live Knoppix 3.3.

Internet connection.

No installation can happen (nor reinstallation :) )

Only hardisk filesystems availbale proprietary and unwrittable.

Other networked computer cannot see laptop, and as FS is unwrittable this does not help.

CD-drive is in use for Live CD, cannot be used for rewriting CD (unless anyone knows of a way) whilst live CD running.

I have no email account that can handle 500MB file attachments.

I have no website to upload to (considering the size of files that would not really be much help)

I have no portable storage device that is usable.

I have no floppy drive.

The question remains how can I copy files from a proprietary FS that I can read but can't risk writting to a seperate computer with hardrive the same?

Lin Network fails to work in this instance because Network setup is not good enough.

Bear in mind the only reason this sytem can read the FS is because Knoppix is in use. Every other method provided by proprietary companies has failed.

I'll tell more later on what happened. Just looking for ideas for File transfers.

Thanks in advance, but considering the underlying nature of the problem I fully understand if no-one has any desire to help.

Am I making you laugh yet. If you think this is hopeless please say so. I am not going to waste my time trying to retrieve this data. The boss will have to spend money for it to happen. (like allow me to reformat the Removable HDD or buy another one).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:10 pm

Sorry but I have no idea what you just asked for. :)

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:28 pm

First, we'd need to know what the other systems on the network are.

Or, you could buy a 512Mb USB flash drive and use that. This all depends on whether the file you quoted as 500MB was in real MB (1024k) or 'fake' MB (1000k).
You could always use bzip2, if it looks like it won't fit. I understand this will cost you money, but once we know about the other systems, there should be a software solution :)
Effectively, this is the bad news first.

chartoo
user
user

Post by chartoo » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:20 pm

CD-drive is in use for Live CD, cannot be used for rewriting CD (unless anyone knows of a way) whilst live CD running.
I don't know if the tohd=/dev/hda1 cheat code works with Knoppix 3.3 but's available on Knoppix 3.6, 3.7.

The tohd=/dev/hda1 will copy the Knoppix CD, not install, to your hard drive then boot from the CD using the fromhd=scan cheat code. Knoppix will scan your hard drive and boot from the CD image, that will free up your CD drive while using Knoppix.

HTH

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Don't mind me. I had to spend yesterday on M$ support and my mind is a mess. They really don't know what they are doing over there. Their fancy recovery tools and backups don't work and can't be made to work.

Arrghh.

Anyway the problem will be sorted by buying new pieces of equipment that I can use.

Thanks to knoppix I can at least make plans to recover the data.

What is NTFS writing like in the latest version.

I'll try the CD cheat on monday.