Getting Debian to install stuff

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Calum
guru
guru

Getting Debian to install stuff

Post by Calum »

i just had my first real go of Debian 3.0b and i must say it is confusing.

How do i get it to install stuff for a start? i'd like to install X and maybe joe and jove if i can, also probably xfce and windowmaker. along with a lot of other stuff, but how?

i have a dvd with all the source stuff on one side and all the binary stuff on the other side, and apt is configured to use the CD as its repository, i have in fact managed to install links and lynx no bother using apt-get but anything i try involving 'xfree' or 'x' just doesn't work.

how do i know what i have the choice of?

also, i set up a connection using pppconfig, and now it starts up by me typing 'pon' but i have to do this as root. if i do it as a user i get a message saying there are no config files for any connections installed. i wondered if root had the file in root's home directory but no. so i don't know where this config info that i put into pppconfig has been saved. evidently somewhere since i can run pon as root but not as a user.

except that it doesn't work. instead of getting 2 seconds of dial tone and then a lot of dialing noises and connection noises i get a continuous dialing tone, getting gradually more stuttery and whiney before it stops altogether, only to try connecting again a few seconds later. the serial port is at the right speed, the thing is set to tone dial (which is what i have) i have no callwaiting thing on...

how i wallow in my confusion :(

but basically i just need to know how to install stuff please!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

dselect! thanks! :D

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber »

If you want to use pon and poff as an ordinary user, you'll need to add that user to the "dip" group, if I remember correctly. (Haven't used Debian for a while.)

Code: Select all

adduser calum dip
should do the trick, but a preliminary "man adduser" may well be prudent! Any config files created by pppconfig can be found in /etc/ppp and its subdirectories.

As for browsing/installing packages and metapackages, I recommend you do

Code: Select all

apt-get install aptitude
aptitude is much easier to use than dselect. There is also tasksel for installing big bunches of related packages, such as X and its dependencies. See this page for details.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

And of course once you get X installed you can run good old Synaptic.