Ubuntu server problem after install...

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Kaelan
user
user

Ubuntu server problem after install...

Post by Kaelan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:51 am

I need a little help... I'm trying to load server on a spare laptop (IBM thinkpad R50. I tried installing 6.10 server but got unknown interrupt or fault at EIP on boot up. I searched the Ubuntu forums and found that the kernel was the issue and the only suggestion was to use the alternate install CD..

I burned the 6.06 server CD and tried again with the older kernel. everything installs fine and on boot it stops at Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting kernel.
then it's sits there at a flashing cursor.

I did search on the Ubuntu forums for an answer to that...but found nothing.. even asked on their forums for some support, yet didn't get any help...any help on getting this to install and boot would be great.. I really want to setup a LAMP here at home for testing websites before publishing them.

Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:14 pm

Use the boot parameter "acpi=off".

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 pm

tried that.... same results...

gets to Uncompressing Linux....Ok, booting kernel.

then hangs at flashing cursor

I know the desktop version works fine because I have used it on the laptop before...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:55 pm

I also find mention of using the alternate CD:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs ... 13090.html

Is there a reason you can't follow this advice?

EDIT: actually it looks like you may or may not have success with the alternate CD. I see one person said it worked and one said it didn't work:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+s ... +bug/71594

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:26 pm

well... the nice thing about the server CD is that it does a complete LAMP install... using the alternate CD it does a desktop install complete with GUI... which isn't needed on a LAMP server... I just wish they had an alternate install CD for server... I can use the 6.10 desktop with no problems...it's just the server CD that hangs....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:36 pm

So you don't have any granular control over what software gets installed huh? I haven't installed Ubuntu in a while so I'm not that familiar with it's installer. Sounds like you'll either have to create your own server install CD with a different kernel or just "apt-get remove" all the packages you don't want after doing a desktop install. Have you considered just doing a network install of Debian?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:53 pm

I was going to say the same.
I can understand going with ubuntu when you want a ready-to-use desktop system (I would pick kubuntu over ubuntu though! :twisted:) but in the case of a server ...

If you do a netinstall you can select which type of environment you want and if you want a LAMP server you can always fall back on this howto, it's easy to follow and it works, I just organized a little intranet on my lan at home based on this tutorial.

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:13 pm

thanks...I think I'll do a straight Debian install and install the LAMP myself.. I was really wanting to get the Ubuntu server going...but since it's being more trouble than it's worth... I'll follow your advice... Thanks for the fast replies and the help.. that's what I love about this forum...

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 pm

thanks Void and Ice... I installed Ubuntu 6.10 desktop and then followed the instructions on setting up LAMP... made a few minor changes to it (php5 instead of php4) and everything is up and running very smoothly...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:11 am

I don't understand why you have to follow any instructions for setting up LAMP. LAMP is just an acronym for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP, all of which come with every distro I have ever used and don't require any setting up. That is a default install will work just fine but you'll have to do some customizing if you want virtual hosts or other custom settings specific to your installation.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:14 am

If he installed ubuntu desktop he probably won't have mysql installed and neither will he have apache or php.
I know I didn't have those installed with my debian workstation netinstall, I had to apt-get all of those.
That's why I posted the link to the howto in the first place.

If you go for a server install apache, mysql and the php modules will probably be installed and configures off the bat but not with a desktop/workstation install.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:48 am

Ice9 wrote:If he installed ubuntu desktop he probably won't have mysql installed and neither will he have apache or php.
I know I didn't have those installed with my debian workstation netinstall, I had to apt-get all of those.
That's why I posted the link to the howto in the first place.

If you go for a server install apache, mysql and the php modules will probably be installed and configures off the bat but not with a desktop/workstation install.
If I remember correctly, I think this is the same with Fedora also.

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:53 am

correct...Ubuntu doesn't include LAMP with the desktop install... I would have done a net install of Debian but I already had the Ubuntu disk sitting there... either way... it's all good now...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 am

But what I am saying is it is included with the distro right? They certainly are on the Fedora installation CDs and if you create a Debian install CD set they are on there. I wouldn't think you should need a tutorial to "apt-get install php-mysql httpd" if you didn't install it at installation time. I do install these at installation time when I install Fedora and I understand that you might not be presented this option with the desktop install of Ubuntu but the default repositories that are installed surely have them even if they are not on the installation CD right? If not I would be looking for a different distro.

Kaelan
user
user

Post by Kaelan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 am

with Ubuntu... they have 2 distros... desktop and server... they dont include LAMP on teh desktop distro simpley because most end users dont need it... the server CD has it and has an option during install to do a DNS or a LAMP or both... it'll install and configures it with all the bells and whistles for you... it makes it easier...