Ubuntu server problem after install...

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Hmmm, I don't see the point of two different distros. I wonder why they don't just have two (or more) different install options for the same installation CD. Would certainly make life much easier I would think. I guess that's one of the reasons I've stuck with Fedora and Debian as I can select exactly what I want or don't want installed at installation time (Fedora being less granular than Debian), whether I am setting up a desktop or a server or whatever. I mean there is no such thing as a standard server. Debian really shines in this area because you can do a very minimal network install and then just apt-get install exactly what you need on top of it. You can get a very compact and targeted installation.

There are 100 different ways of setting up a server depending on what role I have planned for it and 100 different combinations of software I might want installed based on those roles. I mean most of the software crosses over both types of installations. Also, are you saying that after installing the desktop software you have to do more than just an "apt-get install xxx"? If PHP, MySQL and Apache are included in the base repositories after a desktop installed then I would consider it part of the distro. You can even just fire up synaptic (or other GUI if you wish) and point and click install the extra packages. It would not be considered part of the distro if you had to add 3rd party repositories to your list.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:53 pm

Void Main wrote
I wouldn't think you should need a tutorial to "apt-get install php-mysql httpd" if you didn't install it at installation time
No that's correct, as long as you're 100% sure about what to have and what not to have.
In my case I looked at the repositories and I saw tons of apache packages, some apache2 packages, php modules, perl modules but only for apache, not for apache2, etc ...

So I found the howto quite useful because I was sure that what I "apt-got" was what I needed in the first place, nothing redundant, nothing missing that would cause headaches afterwards figuring out why stuff isn't working ...
Also, this was the very first time I used mysql (or any type of real database for instance) so the section on phpmyadmin was quite useful too

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Ahhh, I gotcha now. :)