kubuntu slow/freezing constantly

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Master of Reality
guru
guru

kubuntu slow/freezing constantly

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 pm

I recently moved and having really been on my desktop for the last two weeks (no internet)

Now im on it again, and Xorg, KDE, or something keeps being incredibly slow and freezing. In fact it froze when i first started typing this post, but ctrl-alt-backspace still worked to restart X. Most of the time it will freeze right up and wont respond to keystrokes. I've only tried a couple times to ssh in when its frozen, and it wouldnt connect.

Generally this is happening when i use konqueror, kopete, or firefox (the applications i most often use).

I havent seen anything in messages or syslog that stands out as suspicious. I uninstalled beagle because it thought it might be the source, but that didnt help. Any ideas where i should look next?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:02 pm

I would open a terminal and start "top" running immediately and keep an eye on anything that might be eating up a lot of processor. It could also be something eating up all your memory. After running top you can press the "m" key which will sort processes by most memory utilization. Take note also on total amount of free swap available. Are there any messages in /var/log/messages that might indicate a problem?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:59 pm

I was using top before to check out the programs using the most... but its not until you mentioned swap that i looked and noticed...

Kubuntu has stopped mounting my swap partition on bootup. I think its automatic conversion of device entries to UUID entries in fstab might be the cause.

I've only got 256MB of ram so the swap is usually almost in use.. and when i open something like firefox and konqueror it goes into swap.

I'm going to switch the line in fstab:
UUID=d1a5377e-f81d-4249-ab12-56dfc52a3e96 none swap sw 0 0
with:
/dev/mapper/sdc2 none swap sw 0 0

That should work eh? I mean even though its a link through the device mapper it shouldnt change unless i move the partition/drive.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:00 pm

I was using top before to check out the programs using the most... but its not until you mentioned swap that i looked and noticed...

Kubuntu has stopped mounting my swap partition on bootup. I think its automatic conversion of device entries to UUID entries in fstab might be the cause.

I've only got 256MB of ram so the swap is usually almost in use.. and when i open something like firefox and konqueror it goes into swap.

I'm going to switch the line in fstab:
UUID=d1a5377e-f81d-4249-ab12-56dfc52a3e96 none swap sw 0 0
with:
/dev/mapper/sdc2 none swap sw 0 0

That should work eh? I mean even though its a link through the device mapper it shouldnt change unless i move the partition/drive.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:00 pm

got a weird error about emailer.php not being able to email... hence the double post

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm

(Authentication required
Server replied: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first m2sm4741462nzf
, )

General Error

Failed sending email :: SMTP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 237
File : emailer.php

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Master of Reality wrote:
(Authentication required
Server replied: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first m2sm4741462nzf
, )

General Error

Failed sending email :: SMTP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 237
File : emailer.php
Yep, that was my fault. I've been working on the emailer for the board. Did you get your swap partition mounted?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:48 pm

yea it works. My fstab fix might get broken again when i do a dist-upgrade, im not sure why kubuntu's automatic conversion to using UUIDs in the fstab didnt work for my swap partition though.