ATI Video drivers

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
moto526
scripter
scripter

ATI Video drivers

Post by moto526 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Hey guys! (boys & girls)

I haven't been on here in a while but I need a little help again, i am trying to get the latest ATI video drivers for feisty and I am not having any luck... Any way to do this easily?

Ununtu Feisty with an ATI video card...

Thanks!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Haven't got my hands on an ATI card for a while but have you looked at this?

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Yea I've been there thanks...

Where is Void? He is usually all over these posts????

Any whoo, I got the driver and it's working good, now my only problem is my screen resolution, beryl and compiz work when I lower my res but it's like the screen just zooms in. I loose my icons on the right site of my desktop.

Any ideas on the screen res problem?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:44 pm

moto526 wrote:Where is Void? He is usually all over these posts????
Heh heh, well I am doubly useless on this one because I don't have an ATI card and I don't use Ubuntu. :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:44 am

i'm also useless even though i have an ATI card and have used ubuntu in the past. I didn't actually have any issues and it worked out of the box, so can't add anything. I only posted this reply since clearly not all ATI cards have problems.

I did have other issues with ubuntu though, but i fixed them easily by installing fedora instead.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:40 am

I did have other issues with ubuntu though, but i fixed them easily by installing fedora instead
:lol:

found this on digg.com:
this should get beryl to work for you.
Start fresh and install your driver like so.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
Then install beryl http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php ... u/Edgy/XGL

most likely at that point it will not work, (doesn't for me with an ati x1300 laptop card....) but then you have to downgrade the beryl /xgl packages using the synaptic package manager. I had to go all the way down to 0.14 I hope this helps you.
Other than that I don't know, like I said I don't own an ATI card, and I don't use ubuntu and profoundly dislike gnome
Last edited by Ice9 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 am

So none of you use the desktop effects (3d)???

Wow that is one of the kick a$s features, blows vista out of the water.

Also this laptop that I am working on if for my cousin, she asked me to fix her laptop so I did, XP out Ubuntu in...

After talking to her I think she is getting excited to try it out, she had no idea what Linux was!

She will soon.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:19 am

I have used Compiz and Beryl both on my desktop (nVidia 6600) and on my Laptop. My laptop IS an ATI mobile but it's not supported by the proprietary drivers. Funny thing is, Compiz and Beryl work fine on it with the stock Xorg software. I don't currently use it on a daily basis though because I rarely use my desktop (kids and wife use it) and I can only get 1024x768 out of Beryl and Compiz on the laptop because of the amount of video ram needed. The higher resolution is much more important to me while docked at work. And really I'm not much into eye candy, however, there is one feature about them that I really do like and that is when you move the mouse to the upper right corner all of your windows are shrunk and displayed at the same time so you can click on the one you want to bring up front. It's a little easier than ALT+TABing through them. The rest of it is just a distraction in my opinion. It IS flashy though.

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:07 pm

I really like it but I to can't go any higher than 1024x768 and that bugs me... I am going to be buying a new laptop and I want to run Ubuntu on my current Dell so I am trying to figure out all this 3D stuff on the laptop. I guess I'll just keep playing around.