Debian's a bitch!

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Ice9
guru
guru

Debian's a bitch!

Post by Ice9 »

Why is it that this is the only distro that refuses to run on the spare box?
No matter what I do X keeps crashing, apparently on the initialisation of my mouse.
Arklinux is Debian-based and everything worked, Knoppix runs great on it, but Woody's a no-go :?

Bah, I'll just go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

What is the error message and what kind of mouse do you have, PS/2, usb, etc?

I just installed Woody on my oldest laptop last night in hopes of getting IRDA working. It's a Latitude XPi P100SD (Pentium 100 with a 500MB hard drive, no CD). I have to do a network install because it has no CD drive and for some reason Red Hat 6.2 would install but no modern version of Red Hat because of some PCMCIA incompatibility.

I was able to do a network install of Woody and then upgraded to Unstable and the 2.4.20 kernel. There's only one thing that I can't get to work that I really wanted to get to work and that is the IR port. I was hoping to network the two laptops together via IRDA because I only have 1 PCMCIA network card. It appears that nothing is going to make IRDA work on the old laptop. It works fine on the newer one (which is also old). Oh well....

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

It's a little different now, I think I messed a litle too much with XF86Config-4 because now X won't even start and then crash at the mouse initialization, I get a fatal server crash, no screens found immediately.

I can't look right now because I gotta go to work and won't be back here until monday but I'll try to take my XF86config from the Red Hat box and copy it on the Debian box, see what that does.
If it still doesn't work I'll post the error message.

But I won't spend too much time on getting Debian going on that box, this was more like a test to see if it was safe for me to try and install it on my main box without too much hassle, and I think I'm not gonna risk that yet.