4 screens

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
byrdman
administrator
administrator

4 screens

Post by byrdman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a question about 4 seperate X sessions on one PC. I have two Nvidia dual cards and the drivers are working perfectly in Ubuntu 9.04.
My question is I have firefox opening in full screen seperately using "/usr/bin/firefox - P "screenX" where X is the profile that I created. So FIrefox opens seperately on each desktop. My quesiton is when I restart or logout, the startup application opens all 4 sessions of firefox on the default screen, or screen 0.

does anyone know how I can get firefox to start up automatically on each separate screen, or Xsession? In my xorg.conf, I have to have seperate Xsessions so firefox in full screen will just fill the individual screens.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Just curious. Can't you instead of saving the session on logout create 4 startup apps, one for each profile in System->Preferences->StartupApplications?

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, for one, I have 4 separate desktops, each with its own launcher and panel and desktop. If I start an app, say System Monitor on the first, or primary, or :0, it starts on that screen, but if I go on the 4th desktop, all the way to the right, and start System Monitor, it also starts on the :0 desktop. But if I was to click on Firefox on each separate desktop, it would open in that desktop that I click on, so it was weird. I did have to create 4 different firefox profiles and modify the properties of each laucher.

Not sure if I had to do this, but I put "EXPORT DISPLAY=:0.0; EXPORT DISPLAY=:0.1; and so on in the bashrc. Then I had to put in the Startup Applications, /usr/bin/firefox --display=:0.1 -P "screen1"
/usr/bin/firefox --display=:0.2 -P "screen2" etc...

where screen1, for example, is the firefox profile I created. So after alot of googling, I got it to work using the above.

PS, our first Kiosk is going out the door in a week or so!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Cool beans! You're not exporting your DISPLAY variable 4 times in the same bashrc are you? If so it would end up being set to whatever the last one was. I'm sure I'm missing something in your statement though. Maybe you meant you are changing the DISPLAY variable prior to starting an app so as to coax it onto the screen you want. Most apps should be able to take the "--display=screennum" param as well. For example:

$ gnome-system-monitor --display=0.2

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:16 pm

I am exporting DISPLAY 4 time...guess I will remove that. I was having trouble earlier and since I am still getting used to ubuntu and the debian way, I am kind of hacking at the bit.