Lucid Lynx

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Lucid Lynx

Post by Copperhead » Sat May 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Running this in a VM today for the first time. I've been real busy, and test-driving new distros is kind of a hobby of mine.

For a beginner, this is really nice. For a long time Linux user, like myself, it seems to be moving more and more away from the command line. I did the old:

sed i 's/karmic/lucid/g'; apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -y; apt-get dist-upgrade -y

and ran into a load of problems. Being a guy that used Debian (remember that distro?), I found this kind of annoying. I had to tinker around with it to get it going.

From a graphical standpoint, works pretty cool right out of the box. Comes with compiz pre-installed, so it was fun to play with the bells and whistles.

Calum
guru
guru

Re: Lucid Lynx

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 am

hello everybody and happy new year.

i recently changed to this distro, having become totally frustrated with fedora over the last couple of releases. So far, very few problems. Using XFce as my interface as usual, so far minor issues about moving stuff on the XFce taskbar, and that's about it. Most of my issues with fedora is pretty much resolved with ubuntu, which is nice because for a long time now it's been a case of going from one distro to another trying to just accept the huge number of inconsistencies and problems they all seem to have these days.

With the exception of Ubuntu 10.04 so far, fingers crossed...

Calum
guru
guru

Re: Lucid Lynx

Post by Calum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

here's something, you know when you get ubuntu, there's no root password? first thing i usually do is assign a password to root, and in the past i think you did this by going:

Code: Select all

$ sudo passwd root
however i tried this in Ubuntu 10 and they have (sensibly, from their point of view i suppose) stopped you from doing this, it now complains that you must be root to change root's password. i was quite pleased with myself that i thought of the solution without resorting to google, easypeasy though it is, it's this:

Code: Select all

$ sudo su -
# passwd
wahey! proper linux once more.