Debian "Wheezy" troubles

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
X11
guru
guru

Debian "Wheezy" troubles

Post by X11 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I've got a strange one I've never had from apt-get, but it seems oddly familiar. I was using Fedora for most of this year after many of using Debian. Only now I have no Windows anymore, never again needed in my home, since Minecraft is the only game I'll ever need. I can't install any new packages until this is fixed. I've got a script to do make uninstall's that is getting quite long. Please help! I tried another forum (unix.com) but Facebook seems to have killed every community on the Internet.

The problem...

I did an apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade. Some dependencies did not download, and so I had to do `apt-get -f install` to fix that. The thing is I get an error about /var/lib/dpkg/available

Code: Select all

root@hayek:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  e2fsprogs
Suggested packages:
  gpart parted e2fsck-static
The following packages will be upgraded:
  e2fsprogs
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/955 kB of archives.
After this operation, 26.6 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue ?
Reading changelogs... Done
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 43223 package 'libatk1.0-0':
 duplicate value for `Package' field
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
It seems that the apt-get update has corrupted the database of available packages. I thought I could just run apt-get update to find the problem gone. This has not happened.

X11
guru
guru

Re: Debian "Wheezy" troubles

Post by X11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I managed to fix this myself, I don't know how it happened. It was a lot easier to fix that I thought, manually editing package stuff seemed a little out of this world. I was expecting a cleanup program to exist. That whole thing could have been automatic. I wish the Debian community was so dauntingly huge. New question: How do I change this world?

X11
guru
guru

Re: Debian "Wheezy" troubles

Post by X11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 pm

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU