Using Knoppix 3.1 as a hard drive install

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Avon_B
n00b
n00b

Using Knoppix 3.1 as a hard drive install

Post by Avon_B »

Is there a way to use knoppix, and plant it on a hard drive? I am asking this because I have a friend that is totally interested in Linux, but has been brought up in the M$ XP under-world, and he wants to be able to have the power of APT, as well as to be hooked up with the initial configuration that Knoppix provided him. Despite this guy's paralent, and misinformed M$ ways, he actually bought hardware that was completely, and totally, detected by Knoppix 3.1. In golfer's terms, we call this 'luck', as did he. However, we shall see, once we get the routers and hubs running that he bought at Frye's.

The thing did run beutifully. Pulled his IP off of his router, set up ifconfig, came packed with good tools fully configured (like k3b) and had DVD support enabled and fully functional.

I have come up with a theory, though. How about doing a basic install of Debian (woody), mounting the Knoppix CD, and then tarring the entire contents of it onto the hard drive. Then, untar it, replacing /. Would this work? Or would there be some misconfigurations?

If Knoppix is Debian based, there have to be scripts availible to do this.

bullgoose
user
user

Re: Using Knoppix 3.1 as a hard drive install

Post by bullgoose »

Avon_B wrote:Is there a way to use knoppix, and plant it on a hard drive? I am asking this because I have a friend that is totally interested in Linux, but has been brought up in the M$ XP under-world, and he wants to be able to have the power of APT, as well as to be hooked up with the initial configuration that Knoppix provided him. Despite this guy's paralent, and misinformed M$ ways, he actually bought hardware that was completely, and totally, detected by Knoppix 3.1. In golfer's terms, we call this 'luck', as did he. However, we shall see, once we get the routers and hubs running that he bought at Frye's.

The thing did run beutifully. Pulled his IP off of his router, set up ifconfig, came packed with good tools fully configured (like k3b) and had DVD support enabled and fully functional.

I have come up with a theory, though. How about doing a basic install of Debian (woody), mounting the Knoppix CD, and then tarring the entire contents of it onto the hard drive. Then, untar it, replacing /. Would this work? Or would there be some misconfigurations?

If Knoppix is Debian based, there have to be scripts availible to do this.
Check my post in the message about a mouse problem in Knoppix; it gives a link to a tutorial I wrote about a Knoppix H.D. install.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Just follow a tutorial, like Creedon's (Bullgoose's), then point knoppix to the latest apt repository 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and wahey it's like a friendly debian installer before the debian installer is even out :)

bullgoose
user
user

Post by bullgoose »

Tux wrote:Just follow a tutorial, like Creedon's (Bullgoose's), then point knoppix to the latest apt repository 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and wahey it's like a friendly debian installer before the debian installer is even out :)
One caveat Tux; if you're not in Europe, it's wise to edit your sources list; if you don't, even with a cable connection, you're looking at some LONG D/L's; also the sources list that Knoppix uses has both "testing" and "unstable" sources; a newbie might get by with testing, but unstable is VERY trying (believe me, I know!!)

Avon_B
n00b
n00b

Post by Avon_B »

Thanks guys, good stuff :D