Mounting without autofs

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Calum
guru
guru

Mounting without autofs

Post by Calum »

so, here is what's mounted and what my fstab looks like, i haven't mounted or unmounted anything since i booted up.

the question is, how do i stop all this automounting going on? i had a quick look at the man page for autofs, and it claims that autofs is in /etc/init.d but having gone there, it's not. there's a script for mounting the contents of fstab which allows you to mount proc multiple times i think, but this does not seem to be what i am looking for. what am i looking for and where will i find it?

Code: Select all

bash-2.05b$ mount
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /mnt/winsux type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0)
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 on /mnt/winhome type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0)
automount(pid860) on /var/autofs/zip.1 type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=860,minproto=2,maxproto=9)
automount(pid844) on /var/autofs/cdrom.1 type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=844,minproto=2,maxproto=9)
automount(pid852) on /var/autofs/floppy.1 type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=852,minproto=2,maxproto=9)
bash-2.05b$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab -- static file system information
#
# generated by: Calum Carlyle
#
#
#
/dev/hda6       /               ext3            defaults        1       1
/dev/hda7       /home           reiserfs        defaults,rw     1       2
proc            /proc           proc            rw              0       0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,users,noauto,unhide        0       0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto            rw,nosuid,nodev.exec,users,noauto       0       0
/dev/hda5       none            swap            sw                                      0       0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/winsux     vfat            defaults,users,rw,umask=0               0       0
/dev/hda8       /mnt/winhome    vfat            defaults,users,rw,umask=0               0       0
/dev/sda4       /mnt/zip        auto            defaults,users,exec,noauto,rw,umask=0   0       0
i really appreciate it! thanks...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

What run level do you start up in by default? What services are set to start in that run level? That's weird because if you are using autofs then it should have a start script in /etc/init.d which should be linked to in the run level directories to start and stop on system startup and shutdown (/etc/rc5.d directory, if you start up in run level 5). You could grep for autofs or automount in all of the scripts in there to see if it finds anything:

$ egrep "autofs|automount" /etc/init.d/* /etc/rc*/*

To see if it's running you can do a:

$ ps auxwww | grep auto

However, you are using KDE right? Seems to me that KDE also might put an automount launcher in your user startup folder. I know it used to be set up that way on Red Hat when I used to use KDE. It took me a while to realize where that was coming from. Deleting or moving the automount launcher from the KDE user startup folder solved the problem in my case.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i am using kde, but:

Code: Select all

bash-2.05b$ ps auxwww | grep auto
root      1128  0.0  0.2  1568  376 ?        S    09:30   0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=5 /var/autofs/cdrom.1 program /sbin/xanautofsprobe
root      1151  0.0  0.2  1568  376 ?        S    09:30   0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=1 /var/autofs/floppy.1 program /sbin/xanautofsprobe
root      1161  0.0  0.2  1568  376 ?        S    09:30   0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --timeout=1 /var/autofs/zip.1 program /sbin/xanautofsprobe
root      1524  0.0  0.3  1524  432 ?        S    10:12   0:00 autorun
calum     1943  0.0  0.3  1532  492 pts/0    S    11:52   0:00 grep auto
and your egrep line gives pages of output to the effect that i need to look in /etc/rc*.d for scripts called *xandros-autofs so that gives me something to go on.

thanks for your help!