Debian on Alpha

Place to discuss Debian Linux and Debian based distributions
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Debian on Alpha

Post by Void Main » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:45 pm

We have some Compaq AlphaServer machines at work running VMS. I got hold of one that was migrated out of production and we installed Debian Alpha on it. I downloaded and burned the 8 Debian Woody CDs. I'm not quite sure why I did because shortly after doing a fairly minimal install I pointed to the Alpha SID repositories and upgraded to SID. :) I guess I just didn't have anything better to do.

So far I am pleased with the Debian Alpha port. I haven't been able to get the Ethernet cards to link at full duplex. I'm running the de4x5 module on the 2.6 kernel. It does 100Mbps just fine, but only at half duplex. Oh well, it's not a huge deal for what we're using it for. The hardest part was figuring out the differences for the hardware (SRM boot, nvram, device names in SRM, have to create a BSD partition table, etc). But really, that stuff isn't hard either, just different (for me anyway since I had no Alpha experience prior to this).

So let's see... that means I have install Linux on x86 (Intel/AMD/Cyrix), SPARC (Sun), Alpha (Compaq), and MIPS (LinkSys router). Wonder what I can get my hands on next? :) Oh yeah, I also have experience with Linux on IBM mainframe (390) a couple of years back, but I didn't install that one.