Compiling t3h Kernel

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Compiling t3h Kernel

Post by Doogee » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:35 pm

Mkay i just need someone to verify this, if i follow void's red hat tip on compiling the 2.4.20 kernel in Mandrake i would just do it the same right? I mean a Linux kernel is a Linux kernel regardless of the Distro?

Or is there soomething different im meant to do with the modules or anything like that? anything at all that is different?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:41 pm

If you notice at the bottom of that tip there is a NOTE2. Preacher said the only difference was the name of the config file you copy from /boot (at least on Mandrake 9.0). Another thing that would be different is how you install the kernel development packages.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:27 pm

how would i know if ive got the kernel devel packages installed?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:32 pm

Doogee wrote:how would i know if ive got the kernel devel packages installed?
The kernel won't compile. :) It's not actually the kernel devel you need, it's the tools used in compiling the kernel. I don't know anything about the latest Mandrake so I don't know what the easiest method is to ensure you have the right stuff installed. Easiest way is to start the instructions and if it says it can't find needed commands then you need to install more stuff.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:46 am

dammit during make modules i get "no space left on device" :P im on a CeNsOrEd weak 3 gig harddrive, any suggestions on what to delete?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:55 am

Doogee wrote:any suggestions on what to delete?
Windows. :) You'll need at least a few hundred meg free for sure...

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:57 am

hehe i dont have windows on in the first place

i had about 250 ish before starting this compile now im just deleting oops i dont need like KOffice :P

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:09 am

hrmm insteresting, i just deleted at least 50mb of stuff and i go into kwikdisk and it says that m drive is 100% full with no mb Free :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:12 am

Yeah, it will fill up tempfs as well as your normal disk so as you delete more things it will flush the unwritten data to your real disk partition until no more cached writes are in tempfs, then you'll see some free space opening up on your hard drive. You should just be able to rerun the last "make" command that you ran when the disk filled up and it will pick up where it left off.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:14 am

theres no way im gonna be able to get
at least a few hundred megs
free space on my hardrive :/

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:21 am

I usually do a "rpm -qa | grep devel" and delete as many *-devel RPMs as I can which will give you some space back. Look through /tmp and /var/tmp, don't just delete everything there or you'll be sorry, but if there is anything there you know can go delete it. There are several other places that you can gain some space. If you never look at your docs under /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc you can blow that stuff away (or archive it).

But your best bet is to find another hard drive and shove in there. Having a second drive is good for compiling anyway as it won't slow you down as much when you try to do other things while the kernel compiles.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:26 am

the biggest spare harddrives ive got are 1 gig and a 40meg
my poor old seagate 20gig died :cry:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:40 am

The 1GB drive would be perfect. Stick it in there and make the mount point "/usr/src" point to it.

I would move the kernel code somewhere outside of /usr/src (and any other source you have there) and then stick the drive in. If it shows up as "/dev/hdb" then create a partition on it, and add a line to your /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

/dev/hdb1      /usr/src        ext3    defaults        1 2
Before mounting it create a file system on it and remove the directories under the existing /usr/src:

Delete existing partitions and create a Linux partition to take up the entire drive:
# fdisk /dev/hdb

Then create a file system:
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb1

NOTE: Before doing the following command make sure you don't need anything under /usr/src, if you do move it out as I said
# cd /usr/src
# rm -rf *

I believe the one directory structure you'll want to move out is /usr/src/RPMS (in Red Hat this is /usr/src/redhat, not sure in Mandrake). Move it back after mounting the new drive.

Mount the new partition:
# mount /usr/src

Now extract the kernel source under /usr/src and follow my tip page as normal. The kernel source will be on the new drive. If the drive shows up as something other than "/dev/hdb" then replace "hdb" anywhere above with what the new drive name is.

But that's just what *I* would do. :)

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:13 am

well its a bit late now (late as in time) to open up my box and so far i havnt got another error so maybe i will get in by the hairs on my chinny chin chin if it works ill whack in a 1 gigger tomorrow and use it as my /pub directory (which i download all my oops into)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:22 am

i know it's not that elevant to the question at hand, but you might want to take a quick look at beltorak's kernel recompiling howto as well:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak ... ompile.txt