A Problemo on my brothers computer

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
Doogee
administrator
administrator

A Problemo on my brothers computer

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:48 am

hey all

ive had Drake installed on my bro's computer for a while but after showing a friend how to do the nvidia drivers over an instant messenger i though id try on my brothers computer (hes got a RIVA TNT2) so i followed the same instructions, using nvchooser and all.
Then when i finnaly pressed ctrl+alt+backspace i heard the monitor click a few times like the sound when you turn it on and then it boots me to a text login.
no problem, i just go into emacs and un-destroy his XF86Config-4 file and it boots back into X
YAY!
But then i try to open cannon smash (it worked on "simple" graphic mode before all this) and it doesnt work so i kill it and try and run it from command line, when hitting start on the game dialog i see on the command line something like "glx not loaded" so i think "hrmm i mustve deleted the Load "glx" line by accident" so i go into kwrite and i fix it up to say Load "glx" in the appropriate place i hit ctrl+alt+bkspc and again 5-7 clicks of the monitor and a text login, i get rid of Load "glx" and hoorah back in X.
I was thinking of reinstalling Mandrake, but thats too windows like, and i hate windows.
Soo any ideas anyone?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:21 am

Uninstall the nVidia GLX RPM. It replaces the OpenGL/Mesa libraries and I'm sure is what is causing your problem. I believe uninstalling the nVidia RPM will put the original files back:

# rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:33 am

ill give that a go, thanks, hehe i cant beleive i talked a friend through the whole process over an instant messenger and i cant even do it when ive got physical access :lol: