apt for Mandrake

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:56 am

AAAAHHH!!!!!

i just installed apt for mandrake and went to do a dist-upgrade and guess what??? FIVE REQUIRED packages have to be REMOVED!!!

what's this all about? why do rpms (and required ones at that) have to be removed? i am upgrading kdebase in the meantime and it even had to remove gfcc! i don't want to remove necessary packages!

what will i do?

jtpenrod
n00b
n00b

Post by jtpenrod » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:09 am

Also no matter how hard i keep trying to stick to mandrake only rpms, i ocassionally fall over these 'dependencies' like having to have libglade, GTK+2 and libc6 installed (i have them all installed, but the rpms do not know that as they have obviously not been compiled on a mandrake system).
I ran into this very situation after creating RPMs for some self-written programs. These were all linked to the FOX libs, and rpm detected this dependency just fine. However, I installed these libs from "tarballs" (having four distros it's easier to get one "tarball" and install it fiur times, as opposed to getting all the different RPMs) Naturally, rpm had no way of knowing that FOX was already there since it was never registered in the rpm database. (rpm goes by what's in the database, not what's actually on the system) In cases like this, you need to do a forced install. (See the rpm man/info pages on how to do this). rpm'll b**** about it, but it will do the install.

jtpenrod
n00b
n00b

Post by jtpenrod » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:34 am

By all means, nitpick away! I don't care how small, let me know if you see something that could be better. I removed the part about kino because it does not appear that there is a repository for it for Mandrake. I also removed the link to freshrpms.net because from what I can tell that is Red Hat specific. Where are the best repositories for Mandrake? I'll add a link to the page...
You can put them back. I've used these with both 'Drake and Slack. What you need is: RPM2CPIO. This allows you to convert these Red-specific RPMs to cpio archives, from which you can extract the source and compile it on your non-Red distro. Go Here to pick up the Perl script for rpm2cpio.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:38 am

jtpenrod wrote:
By all means, nitpick away! I don't care how small, let me know if you see something that could be better. I removed the part about kino because it does not appear that there is a repository for it for Mandrake. I also removed the link to freshrpms.net because from what I can tell that is Red Hat specific. Where are the best repositories for Mandrake? I'll add a link to the page...
You can put them back. I've used these with both 'Drake and Slack. What you need is: RPM2CPIO. This allows you to convert these Red-specific RPMs to cpio archives, from which you can extract the source and compile it on your non-Red distro. Go Here to pick up the Perl script for rpm2cpio.
Actually I can't put them back. The article is about apt-get, not kino. If you can't install kino from apt-get then it wouldn't be appropriate for the article. I don't have Mandrake installed so I can't tell how well apt-get works on it. I can only go by what others tell me. I can say that apt-get is awesome on Red Hat. Perfect for n00bs (and me, not a n00b).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:33 am

well the repository for mandrake seems a bit duff so far.
i tried to upgrade to kde 3.1 using apt and it uninstalled kde-network and a couple of other things i wanted to keep, and then failed to install kde 3.1 properly after it had removed kde 3.0. So i was stuck with no clue how to get on the net, X had ceased to work (goodness knows what it uninstalled to do that) so i bit the bullet and just reinstalled mandrake again. Won't be trying that out again in a hurry.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:22 am

Instead of dooing a Dist Upgrade why don't you select Upgrade plain and simple, then you can browse through the updates and select whatever you want.
Anyway, that's how I do it with red hat, I don't see the need to upgrade things like Kpaint and stuff like that ....
And when there are important updates you can always look into the specs and descriptions to see what would be removed/updated/installed.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:24 am

i think i may have figured something out.

i had some major hard disk probs a few days ago but just to get my computer going i installed an old 3gig hard disk and installed mandrake on it. The first thing i did was install apt for rpm for mandrake (:P) per calum/voidmains tip.

I noticed that a tonne of packages have changed from the base Mandrake install from being packagenamewhateverX.Xmdk to being packagenamewhateverX.Xtex

im sure other users have noticed this. What im guessing is that all these programs have been upgraded to this *tex thing and when you try to install a package it need to uninstall alot of this stuff that is in *mdk style to be *tex style. For exapmle i went into synaptic and double clicked on "msfonts" in the uninstall. it had to depend on a new version of some Xfont thing which had been changed to *tex style which in turn need a whole bunch of stuff that needed this *tex style to work properly.

Another example (a short one) for me to upgrade the GAIM instant messenger (which had changed from *mdk to *tex) was a download of something like 44mb. thats alot for an instant messenger :P

Anyway i hope some one figures this shoit out cos i may be using mandrake for a while.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:28 am

i actually think those repositories cannot be trusted. i think we need to find better repositories for mandrake and change the tip to reflect that.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:52 am

dammit calum get on aim if your still there so we can talkabout this real-time

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:19 am

you've been offline for 20 minutes as i write this. i think i will be avoiding using apt in the meantime though.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:00 pm

Well I'm removing the tip if you are having that much trouble. I don't have *any* problems with apt-get for Red Hat. I dist-upgrade all my machines every day. There was only one single problem so far and that was with the mplayer-skins package which is now working again. I'll save the tip off somewhere else in case we want to bring it back.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:37 am

it can be brought back only if somebody comes up with decent repositories for it.
nobody has so far to my knowledge.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:43 am

That sucks. you would think with as many hard core mandrake followers out there that they would have something like this sorted out. Of course I didn't find freshrpms for Red Hat until just recently. It is so sweet that it's just a matter of time before more repositories start popping up.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:13 am

Calum, maybe you could send him an e-mail.
I mean, it seems he gets quite some respect and consideration in the Mandrake community and I came accross a post of his where he actually asks for some feedback on how his apt port works for Mandrake.
Perhaps if you explained your problem he could provide you with some answers or tips?

His e-mail : texstar-at-houston.rr.com

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:26 am

yes do that.

Actually complain to Linus Torvalds that Mandrake is crap and should be sued for making Linux look bad.