Mandrake 9.1 first opinions

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Mandrake 9.1 first opinions

Post by ThePreacher » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:09 am

I finally got Mandrake 9.1 installed, and I must say I like the icon set for the galaxy theme. The installer is much simplified for beginning users and is the first significant change Ive seen in the installer since I started using Mandrake at version 7.2. A few things I didnt like about the beginners install was the fact that it didnt let you set the host name and the screen resolution. Oh well, these are easily changed later. Also am I the only one who uses ext2 anymore? I noticed if you allow the installer to auto allocate the partitions, it will used ext3 journalized partitions. After doing a beginners install, I noticed that it didnt use anything but the first install CD, which meant that it missed a lot of stuff. I was never prompted and asked if I had all three CD's, and I saw no option for individual package selection in the beginner install. I was so dissatisfied with the beginner install that I reinstalled in expert mode. By the way, you arent asked at the beginning of the install if you want to use beginner or expert mode anymore. In order to choose expert mode, you must press F1 for more options when the first screen comes up. This is pretty bad in my humble opinion. Experienced linux users will become frustrated. First time linux users will be happy at the simplicity. I suppose you cant please everyone. Once installed I was very happy with the finished product. If you are a KDE lover like I am, ignore the new Red Hat and get this distro. The people at Mandrake did a great job with the galaxy theme.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:04 am

it's a shame they have done all that dumbing down. i have seen quite a few posts on forums where mandrake have 'simplified' something to the point where it's stupid and nonintuitive. i have always said that even a complete novice should do the expert install of mandrake. i really don't know who the beginner (nee recommended) install is aimed at.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mandrake 9.1 first opinions

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:55 am

ThePreacher wrote:Also am I the only one who uses ext2 anymore? I noticed if you allow the installer to auto allocate the partitions, it will used ext3 journalized partitions.
No, you are not the only one. Everyone that uses ext3 is actually using ext2, they just add a journal to their ext2 file system. But you already knew that I am am just being a smart arse. What do you have against ext3? I love it mainly for the boot time after accidentally yanking the power cable on my laptop (the batteries are shot so it powers off immediately when the power cord is pulled).

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:17 am

i agree, as far as i can see ext3 is better than ext2 at no cost. but i'd like to know if ext3 partitions are supposed to be mountable by systems with kernels that only support ext2? in my experience i have had trouble with this.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:02 am

Yes, they are supposed to be mountable as ext2 (they just ignore the journal). I believe I have done this in the past when booting Tom's boot disk, but that boot disk may now have ext3 support so.... I know that I have used ext2 tools on ext3 file systems (resize2fs, tune2fs etc) with no problem. Wait, I'll unmount my boot partition and remount it as ext2.... yep no problem.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:14 am

i think there was something dodgy about the kernel i was using and that was what was wrong. this was when i had basiclinux 1.7 and mandrake 9.0, i couldn't mount the ext3 mdk partition in basiclinux and i couldn't mount the basiclinux ext2 partition in mandrake 9 either :?

well that machine died anyway, so it goes, so no matter.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:24 pm

You can still use Expert Mode to install, although they have hidden the option.

It's now in the "Press F1 for more options" screen.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu May 01, 2003 2:08 am

all mandrake need to do is stop hiding things and stop pillocking around with things that don't need fixed (like their dumb supermount and their stupid xmms not having the right plugins by default et c), i hear they have finally sorted out the 'our themes are crap' problem...

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Thu May 01, 2003 3:02 am

My xmms had that plugin you was talking about, cant remember the name.
But i had a hell-of-a-time last night trying to install infopipe so i could spam what music im listening to onto IRC.

In the end i ended up ripping out all traces of pre-installed xmms and installing it from source.

UL! :/