burnind cds

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
Lord C
scripter
scripter

burnind cds

Post by Lord C » Fri May 02, 2003 6:28 am

Gnome Toaster doiesnt recognise my CD-RW, X-CD-Roast gives me a load of abuse, and GConbust doesnt seem to recognise my CDRW either :/

I dunno why, because last time i installed Mandrake9.0 Gconbust worked fine (the oinly writer that did).

I cant burn jack :/

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 02, 2003 6:39 am

bad news.

want somebody to help? if so "gives me a load of abuse" probably doesn't cut it as a description of the error message.

did you try koncd? but more importantly do you know what device your CD writer is in linux?

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Fri May 02, 2003 6:40 am

I installed Eroaster, following htis guide
http://www.trylinuxsd.com/eroaster/pages/eroaster3.html
But at the step "Detected recorder" I got an error message

"Couldn't detect your reader / recorder !
Please make sure you have root or that you're allowed to read /dev/sg*" !

:@

[edit]
It seems eroaster works if i run as root :/
but i wanna run as normal tbh
[/edit]

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 02, 2003 7:18 am

weird! well how about something like:

Code: Select all

# chmod +r /dev/sg*whatever* 
- would that work? make a note of what the permissions are before you change them so that you will be able to change them back again if my advice stuffs up your system...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 02, 2003 7:23 am

hey you know what i think there are quite a few chmods required to burn cds as a normal user. the first time i burned a CD i did it with XCDroast, and the procedure for that is you run XCdroast as root, go into the configuration menu and set it up how you want it. this chiefly involves cranking the burn speed up to your recorder's maximum, adding users who will be allowed to burn cds and setting up your temporary directories. THEN you must push the big 'Set non-root mode' button (or whatever it is called) which will run a few chmod commands allowing users access to the necessary /dev/* files to burn CDs.

i recommend trying this as my personal knowledge of burning CDs stops right there and it worked for me. also i would like to assume that your grief from xcdroast was related to this thing of not running non-root mode before you tried to use it. try it, it might even work.

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri May 02, 2003 7:42 am

Have you tried burning after SU as root? And then does it work. If so then you probably need to pay attention to Calum. If not what device do you have, can you use it to read CDROMs, is the device actually working to your knowledge? Is it a new or old CD drive?

BobsYourUncle
user
user

Post by BobsYourUncle » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:22 am

I assume it's a IDE burner? try running

cdrecord -dev=ATAPI -scanbus

hopefully it will output something like

scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'CyberDrv' 'CW038D CD-R/RW  ' '120C' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

so i would then manually add a device to gtoaster (my app of choice, couldn't tell you exactly how to do it in any other) with device file: /dev/hdc (or whatever your burner is) and Scsi ID: ATAPI:0,0,0 (remember to change those numbers to correspont with your output for cdrecord -dev=ATAPI -scanbus), check "this drive is a cd writer", enter it's mount point, and fill in manufacturer and model details, and you're set (hopefully)