Linux RTCW problem

Place to discuss Mandriva Linux
ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Linux RTCW problem

Post by ThePreacher » Sat May 17, 2003 1:20 pm

I know not too many people here probably play wolfenstein but I just built a new computer and installed Mandrake 9.1 on it. Anyway Everything worked great until I installed Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Simply put the sound wont work. Anyone else have this problem? Also after playing for a few hours Punkbuster stopped working. I tried reinstalling it, but this did not help. FInally no matter how many times I enter the CD key, I get messages saying "INVALID_CDKEY". So it only allows me to play maps with punkbuster turned off. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or if they know a solution. I saw at the quake 3 linux faq http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3 ... ml#nosound that mandrake's sound drivers might be causing this. Should I go to Alsa like they suggest?

BobsYourUncle
user
user

Post by BobsYourUncle » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:06 am

Does sound work if you run rtcw as root? If so, one way to fix it (quick and dirty, someone might want to clean this up a bit) is to do, as root

Code: Select all

chown root:users /dev/dsp
chown root:users /dev/mixer
chmod 770 /dev/dsp
chmod 770 /dev/mixer
I can't help you with the punkbuster thing, pb has never given me problems. As far as the invalid cd key error goes, it could be caused by someone else already using your cd key.