Can Samsung GDI driver be installed in Slack?

Place to discuss Slackware
Calum
guru
guru

Can Samsung GDI driver be installed in Slack?

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:25 pm

i have found this: http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/p ... msung-gdi/

which appears to be everything i need to get the gdi driver working in slackware so i can print to my Samsung ML-1210 printer, which worked under fedora out of the box.

I can't understand what i am supposed to do with all that stuff to get it to "go" though! is it obvious to anybody? i am exposing my own ignorance, but i can't understand it at all.

thanks.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:19 pm

on second thought, no. i am sick of slack. it is as good as i always said, but i have reassessed my priorities. i don't want to always be finding out the hard way how to make stuff work against all odds. slack 11 seems the same as slack 8 except that all the tgz packages have higher numbers in them. and i can't even compile mplayer on it! nobody seems to have an answer to that on the internet, including good old linuxquestions.org so slackware can slack off! next up, a proper go of ubuntu (ditched after a day last time by me for gnome being its old buggy self, it can have another chance).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Too bad you're ditching Slack, I was going to install it and maybe try to connect it to one of the ML-* printers we have at the office. So if you figured it out first, I wouldn't have to work so hard ;)

Looks to me like the download depends on what version of ghostscript you have. If you have an older version, or need some kind of backwards compat, you need some of the patches. But for a fresh system with up2date ghostscript, Samsung-SmartGDI-all-GS.tar.gz will probably do the trick. That's just my understanding of the readme file.