Upgrading..

Place to discuss Slackware
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Upgrading..

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:04 pm

the non redhat + apt-get way :(

I havent looked much into it yet, but i was wonderin if there is an easier way to upgrade slackware like you can do with apt-get in debian and redhat/fedora.

I have always just saved what i needed to a backup partition and re-installed the complete distro. There is upgradepkg so couldnt i just upgrade all the packages i have installed. Im not sure if slackwares package system holds a list of just whats installed or not. Is there some sort of program or option in any package tools stuff that will upgrade everything?

And... oops.... this is in the wrong forum... well, Void, i guess you'll have to move this to the slackware forum.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:18 pm

slackpkg is the first utility i found, it is small easy to use, great for dling and installing single packages and searching for packages. I wasnt sure how or if it was possible to install/upgrade more then one at once.

Swaret was the next i tried, im not sure how good it is at dling single files/installing, i think you might need to know the exact package name, version, etc. I am upgrading every package installed on my server with it... which is going well.... i think

I found slapt-get which seems to be the best although i havent actually tried it yet.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:58 pm

Did you end up using slapt-get? If so, how did it go?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:18 am

I installed slackpkg and swaret at the same time and slapt-get after i started upgrading. I used slackpkg to download the 3 packages that were required to use swaret. They were pretty obvious packages that it would you that i didnt have.

I couldnt easily find a way to use slackpkg to upgrade the entire system and it looked much more developmental then swaret so...

I used swaret to upgrade every package on my system, but it doesnt do a dist-upgrade like slapt-get does so there was two (or three?) packages that didnt get upgraded. One was coreutils i think and i dont remember others.

After that i used slapt-get and did a --dist-upgrade and it upgraded those two packages that hadnt been. I still havent upgraded the kernel yet though, i plan on using slapt-get for that sometime today.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:07 am

slapt-get is the best.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:36 am

oh gods! my prayers have been answered! i can't believe slapt-get is here! and now i have broadband i can dist-upgrade to my heart's content!
i seem to finally have xfce4 now! that was certainly a shock! i can't wait to find out what else is new. 198 packages upgraded from my slack 9.0 system!

there is now no good reason for a slack user to return to red hat or debian in my opinion.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:56 am

Calum wrote:there is now no good reason for a slack user to return to red hat or debian in my opinion.
The nice thing is, *apt-get makes all distros that use it less different. As long as there are good repositories containing a nice supply of great software.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:18 am

Calum wrote:oh gods! my prayers have been answered! i can't believe slapt-get is here! and now i have broadband i can dist-upgrade to my heart's content!
i seem to finally have xfce4 now! that was certainly a shock! i can't wait to find out what else is new. 198 packages upgraded from my slack 9.0 system!

there is now no good reason for a slack user to return to red hat or debian in my opinion.
Hehe Calum, that's how I felt. I think slapt-get still needs some work but they seem to code pretty quickly.

P.S m0r can I take this opportunity to say "I told you so!" :)